kawasaki mule problem

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
I got into a rough spot yesterday evening looking for some cows,and needed everything the little mule had to get through,I made it but it was obvious the differential was not locking ,4 wheel drive worked good but the back wheels were,nt being locked.anyone know of an adjustment for this,looks like a cable goes to the transmission that probably needs adjustment ?.................good luck
PS funny how these things happen when it goes out of waranty,first problem.

HAY MAKER":261ksa64 said:
dun":261ksa64 said:
Which 4wd model of mule?

Its a 3010 Diesel.........................good luck

Sorry, my service manual is only for the 2500 series.
I've never looked to see where the cable goes for the differential lock handle on the dash on either of mine.

Angus/Brangus":1rd46x8l said:
Isn't that a driver-operated locking
differential?

Yes it is,has a knob with a cable attached.
Thanks anyway Dunn,guess I will hafta locate a service manual.............good luck

Angus/Brangus":d2346ru5 said:
It's advertised as a dual mode differential. Is it fully engaged??

Kawasaki MULE 3010 4X4 On-Command Push Button 3-way locking differential, 2WD/4WD/4WD Lock;

It might have been in just plain 'ol 4WD when you noticed it.

No it doesnt make any difference if its in 4 wheel drive or not,differential should lock rear wheels together in 4x4 or 2 wheel,and mine is not doing that,4 wheel drive works fine,but the differential wont lock rear wheels together.......................good luck

Lift the bed up and look at the back of the motor and above the rear diff. There are two cables.

One is low by the diff and one is up higher closer to the back of the motor. The higher one is the 4wd,, if I remember correctly.

I believe the one that is low next to the rear diff is the one you need to adjust for the the rear end to lock up but pull the lever and see wich one moves. That will tell you for sure.

Try not to use the locker when you are on packed surfaces or you will be constantly be adjusting the cables.

Also the 4wd is not made to run on surfaces where all the tires cannot spin. YOu will get a loud CLUNK! if you do and eventually it will tear you front diff up. The 4wd is not designed to cruise in. You should only use it when needed and then disenguage it.

On the 4wd when you go to enguage and disenguage it if you back up after enguaging or disenguaging it is alot easier on the bike and will keep it from making that CLUNK!

Just some tips that most people do not know.

Put some tires and wheels on it and you can go places in 2wd that you couldn't go in 4wd stock.
MULE006.jpg

MikeC":2t1e1iwh said:
Cable needs adjusting. You can figure it out without a manual.

I adjusted the cable ,there is no adjustment left,still wont lock unless I get under it and help it manually,it lacks about an inch of travel to lock,I looked at the other end of the cable,no adjustment there.
works good if I pull the cable and then drive a short distance,get out and push the lever on the cable the rest of the way over,its got me stumped,maybe I need another cable,everything seems to be free enough to lock...........good luck

What is on the end of the cable. SOme have things that screw on and you can slide them further up the cable to take the slack out.

IF not... get one of the small clamp on lead fishing weights and clamp it on the end of the cable before the stopper on the end.

I would put the nuts all the way foward first and then put the clamp on weight in there so you can have some adjustment later on with the nuts again.

Brute 23":otzrg5wv said:
What is on the end of the cable. SOme have things that screw on and you can slide them further up the cable to take the slack out.

IF not... get one of the small clamp on lead fishing weights and clamp it on the end of the cable before the stopper on the end.

I would put the nuts all the way foward first and then put the clamp on weight in there so you can have some adjustment later on with the nuts again.

Finally got the lil mule fixed,there is a tube bracket that has a bend in it that was probably installed wrong when the dealer put it together,I turned it 90 degrees and it works fine now.
Think I will go back to the water crossing that was giving the lil mule trouble and see what happens now...............good lucl
PS what did you hafta give for your wheels & tires Brute ?

Latest posts