Katsup..Ketchup ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Little history first.

Mom used to make catsup years ago. Several years back I had a cousin ask for the recipe. I started looking thru things and this is the only one I found. The page was dogeared so I am pretty confident this is what Mom used. It was my Grandma's cookbook titled Canning Preserving and Pickling By Marion H. Neil. Copyright 1914 and published by David McKay

Tomato_Catsup.jpg

Now it is nothing like the store bought ketchup and I don't remember Mom simmering it for 6 hours. My cousin did and it was way to think and strong so I'd say to simmer till thickened to your liking.

This makes a really good base for a sweet tangy BBQ sauce.

1 small onion, chopped
2 tbsp butter
3/4 c catsup
3/4 c water
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Melt Butter in skillet, add onion and cook till slightly browned. Add rest of ingredients and cook slowly for 20 - 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

I'd go with Vette's ma's first but here is another one. Might be helpful.(heck I spent all this time typing and Vette beat me to it so I'll post it anyway) :lol2:

This is a basic recipe. You can tweek it as you see fit. If you like Heinz ketchup you might want to add a little garlic powder to it - about 1/2 tsp.

8-10 pounds of very ripe tomatoes
1-2 ripe sweet red peppers (green bells work fine but red bells are more better)
1-2 sweet green peppers
4-5 onions - vidalias if you got them
1 - 3 cups of sugar or honey
3 TBS salt
3 cups cidar vinegar

In a cheesecloth type bag, tightly tie

1/2 - 1.5 tsp of whole alspice
" " " " of whole cloves
" " " " of broken cinammon

Quarter the tomatoes and remove anything you wouldn't eat
Seed the peppers and cut them up.
Dice onions
Mix all these together and cook until tender (15-30 min)
Put this in a food mill (or put the uncooked veggies in a blender then cook)

Add all the ingredients together except the vinegar and simmer uncovered until it is thick (put the bag in the mix and cook till thick)

Add vinegar and cook another 15 minutes

Remove bag of spices and ladle into sterile pint jars.

Boil in water bath for 15 minutes.

Will make 4 -5 pints.

How many pecks could a woodpecker peck if a wood pecker could peck wood ?????????

Thanks guys ,they both sound great I guess I have some work to do this weekend.. :tiphat:

No I have plenty to do the last thing I am lacking is things to do around here. It has been raining on and off so I am inside more than usual ,I could be cleaning house, but I like cooking better.. ;-)

I bought all of the ingredients for making the salsa but ended up making more dog food for my Steffie and a big batch of beef vegetable soup for us instead..Maybe salsa tomorrow. Those ketchup recipes sound like they are a lot of work.. :lol:

BTW, how many doggies do you know that get sirloin tip roast, green beans, broccoli and long grain brown rice for dinner (it is all cooked, chopped and mixed together)..She gets this twice a day and loves it. :D The problem is that I usually have an hour of washing pots and pans afterwards.. :help:

hillsdown":wv5avi11 said:
No I have plenty to do the last thing I am lacking is things to do around here. It has been raining on and off so I am inside more than usual ,I could be cleaning house, but I like cooking better.. ;-)

I bought all of the ingredients for making the salsa but ended up making more dog food for my Steffie and a big batch of beef vegetable soup for us instead..Maybe salsa tomorrow. Those ketchup recipes sound like they are a lot of work.. :lol:

BTW, how many doggies do you know that get sirloin tip roast, green beans, broccoli and long grain brown rice for dinner (it is all cooked, chopped and mixed together)..She gets this twice a day and loves it. :D The problem is that I usually have an hour of washing pots and pans afterwards.. :help:

Kinda wish I was one of your dogs! I don't even eat that well!!

No you really don't, she has transitional cell carcinoma and only has at best a few weeks or a month to live.. :(

hillsdown":2tqr3kss said:
No you really don't, she has transitional cell carcinoma and only has at best a few weeks or a month to live.. :(
I'm sorry HD, we have always been real close to our dogs too. Just look at the good side and be thankful that you have had her (or that she had had you).

jedstivers":103deqo9 said:
hillsdown":103deqo9 said:
I'm sorry HD, we have always been real close to our dogs too. Just look at the good side and be thankful that you have had her (or that she had had you).

Thank you jedstivers, that means a lot, and yes she has brought me and my husband very many great times and tons of joy. She is my main hand around here and is a better helper than any two legged hand ever..I am cherishing every day I have left with her ...