Kansas Sinkhole

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Out in a cow pasture a 200 ft across 90 ft deep sinkhole appeared, that's a lot of dirt, where did the dirt go, what kind of formation is under the ground to create such a hole in Kansas.Wonder what Chester or Festus would say about that?

I saw that on the news. The hole is huge! And people climbing down to the bottom. That's just stupid

hooknline":1wvlh5fi said:
I saw that on the news. The hole is huge! And people climbing down to the bottom. That's just stupid
They're going to see where the dirt went.

You heard about the guy that got sucked down a sinkhole in the middle of the night around here? He was asleep in his bedroom and the ground opened up. Never found

cowboy43":69rtitnw said:
Out in a cow pasture a 200 ft across 90 ft deep sinkhole appeared, that's a lot of dirt, where did the dirt go, what kind of formation is under the ground to create such a hole in Kansas.Wonder what Chester or Festus would say about that?

I don't know what Chester would say. :D But sinkholes are most often associated with karst topography. Google it. There are some good pictures/sections of how the limestone becomes dissolved away to create a void. Then the overlying soil sumps into the void forming the sink. People walking down into it???

PS: I just found a news clip. That hole looks bigger than what is typical of karst topography. Could still be. That is one big hole. I saw a clip, people walking right to the edge. Sherrif ask people to stay away. Also, not much pasture there.

we used to farm some land that had sink holes you would be driving along on the tractor and a hole would just fall out. You could feel it sinking and we would gun it to get out . They were usually 3 or 4 ft diameter.

M5farm":14pa26m0 said:
we used to farm some land that had sink holes you would be driving along on the tractor and a hole would just fall out. You could feel it sinking and we would gun it to get out . They were usually 3 or 4 ft diameter.
That is the size you most commonly find in karst topography. Lots of it in the western part of Ky near mammoth caves where the limestone is subject to dissolution. Are you in Florida? There whole state just about sets on Limestone.

inyati13":3fsfr900 said:
M5farm":3fsfr900 said:
That is the size you most commonly find in karst topography. Lots of it in the western part of Ky near mammoth caves where the limestone is subject to dissolution. Are you in Florida? There whole state just about sets on Limestone.
Yes Florida and a lot of caves in our area

Just shows you never get too old to learn, never knew about karst. We have the balcones Fault line in the Hill Country composed of limestone and chalk , it has numerous caves and caves still being discovered and that was how they were formed.

We have 2 old sinkholes on this farm and a callapsed cavern that's all part of the same formation.

Some from West Texas and even near my residence are caused by subsidence and petro chemicals being pumped out of the ground or waste water pumped into the ground, dissolving salt domes.

There was a big argument a couple decades ago whether the one in West Texas would be named after the town of Wink or the town of Kermit.
Kermit wanted it called the Kermit Crater and Wink said it should be the Wink Sink.

Abstract:
The Wink Sink, in Winkler County, Texas, is a collapse feature that formed in June 1980 when an underground dissolution cavity migrated upward by successive roof failures until it breached the land surface. The original cavity developed in the Permian Salado Formation salt beds more than 400 m (1,300 ft) below ground level. Natural dissolution of salt occurred in the vicinity of the Wink Sink in several episodes that began as early as Salado time and recurred in later Permian, Triassic, and Cenozoic times. Although natural dissolution occurred in the past below the Wink Sink, it appears likely that the dissolution cavity and resultant collapse described in this report were influenced by petroleum-production activity in the immediate area. Drilling, completion, and plugging procedures used on an abandoned oil well at the site of the sink appear to have created a conduit that enabled water to circulate down the borehole and dissolve the salt. When the dissolution cavity became large enough, the roof failed and the overlying rocks collapsed into the cavity. Similar collapse features exist where underground salt beds have been intentionally dissolved during solution mining or accidentally dissolved as a result of petroleum-production activity. ?? 1989 Springer-Verlag New York Inc.

and some 1st person notes about the Wink Sink(s):
http://jamminmole.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... cting.html

We have a whole string of sinkholes. The first one is so deep I wouldn't go down in it with enough rope to get myself out. There is a Section corner down in there somewhere.

inyati13":303xl2fu said:
john250":303xl2fu said:
We have a whole string of sinkholes. The first one is so deep I wouldn't go down in it with enough rope to get myself out. There is a Section corner down in there somewhere.
Is it a limestone area?
Yes, our bedrock here is limestone. Same annual rain you get in KY. All that water (and lots of time) makes the limestone cavernous. There is an abandoned quarry next door to me.
As I understand it, we were near the south edge of the sea which used to cover Indiana. Hence our state slogan "Tsunami free for 10 million years".

john250":3v94tomy said:
inyati13":3v94tomy said:
john250":3v94tomy said:
Is it a limestone area?
Yes, our bedrock here is limestone. Same annual rain you get in KY. All that water (and lots of time) makes the limestone cavernous. There is an abandoned quarry next door to me.
As I understand it, we were near the south edge of the sea which used to cover Indiana. Hence our state slogan "Tsunami free for 10 million years".

:lol:

Latest posts