Kansas Bangs Numbers

Help Support CattleToday:

idontno

Reaction score
I have had a wreak and the owner of the cow i hit say it's not his.I know it is ,just need to prove it.I have hit 3 cows of his and totaled 3 pickups.No full coverage inc.I took a hit on 2 now i think it time he buy .There is 2 other people at this time got lawsuits against him for the same thing.I question is can a Kansas bangs number be traced? If so where do i start?

Probably call your vet clinic first; they'd know where to start at least. I'm certain they can at least be traced to the owner at the time of vaccination.

Was the cow not branded?

I'm not standing up for the guy,but maybe you should pay attention or slow down a little.How could you total three trucks on three cows all owned by the same guy? :???:

idontno":7r4enkwx said:
...There is 2 other people at this time got lawsuits against him for the same thing...

Sounds like this gentleman has a serious liability issue, and maybe should not have cattle at all if he can't contain them. As it was explained to me, the vet clinic that issues the tag will have record of it. Now your task is to track down where the tag was issued. If you know this person, do a little dirt digging and figure out who his vet is, once you do that, then trace down the number. Best of luck. :?

If there is a bangs tag get the number off of it. You can contact the Kansas Animal Health Dept 708 S Jsckson Topeka KS. George Teagarden is livestock commissioner. Ther are three sheets to the form one to owner, one for vet, one for state of Kansas.

This guy must not have decent liability insurance. We had one hit and our insurance company paid us for loss of animal and paid for car to be fixed.

I hope you have filed a police report each time this is happened. Even though Kansas is a free range state we do have to maintain our fences in a way to keep cattle in. You might find another road to drive. If it was a steer not good for you. You might have to have your insurance company get the info from the state. Good Luck

Jeff

No brand.Had a red tag and bangs tag in one ear.The land ,cow owner has had this problem for as long as I can remember.How could I have killed 3 of his cows in 2 yrs.Not hard to do when its dark and black cattle out.I myself have hit one,and my wife has hit 2.My cousin hit one last week and a couple from another town got one on the highway.Soo that make 5 cows in 2 yrs that he lost.His fences are junk and he knows it.I have cattle so I understand that its not always the cows fault.He has been reported so many times for cattle out.As far as the bangs number I called the vet.He said that the same number gets used several times a year so not much help unless i can get the date that it was bought.I always thought that the bangs number stayed with the animal and was never used agian ,but i was wrong.He told me to go to the state and run that number with them.But it looks like it will be a dead end too.Thanks for all the info.

Do you have insurance? If you do theinsurance company should use there skills and lawyer up and go after this guy period. Go to your county commissioner and file a complaintthey can file an injuction against him to fix the fences or do it for him and bill him through his taxes I think. Talk to someone and find another road to drive.

Jeff

The Bangs tags have unique numbers. It wouldn't make sense to vaccinate and use the same ID number for multiple cows. The vet just doesn't want to get involved.

idontno":tn1b1iqz said:
I question is can a Kansas bangs number be traced? If so where do i start?

If you have the bang's tag number, I would start with the state vet's office. There is a very real chance that you are going to need a good lawyer to get the information that you are seeking, though.

The Bang's vaccination tag will tell you owned the heifer at the time she was vaccinated. If she has been sold and changed ownership, then that information would not do any good.

Do his other cattle have red tags? Use the accident reports from your wrecks and the other wrecks you mentioned to determine if ownership of the cows was determined. If so use the track record as part of your case. Let your insurance company help fight this.

BC":12k9elao said:
The Bang's vaccination tag will tell you owned the heifer at the time she was vaccinated. If she has been sold and changed ownership, then that information would not do any good.
Do his other cattle have red tags? Use the accident reports from your wrecks and the other wrecks you mentioned to determine if ownership of the cows was determined. If so use the track record as part of your case. Let your insurance company help fight this.
Actually that information would still be useful. If you could contact the original owner you might be able to track the ownership either directly to this guy or possibly through a sale barn or through subsequent owners.

But if this guy can't afford to keep his fences up, its probably going to be like getting blood from a turnip. I'd ask the others who have filed lawsuits against him if they know whether or not he has any insurance. Thats probably your only hope for getting any compansation.

Latest posts