Justice Kennedy Announces Retirement

Help Support CattleToday:

Haven't seen anything about him actually announcing retirement. Lots of speculation that he will soon, but that's been going on for months and months.

greybeard":x4m9nwm1 said:
Haven't seen anything about him actually announcing retirement. Lots of speculation that he will soon, but that's been going on for months and months.

ABC preempted programming to announce this. Said it was official.

slick4591":2m3xmemy said:
greybeard":2m3xmemy said:

Did Justice Ginsburg wake up long enough for them to tell her ??

TexasBred":13gmpoc5 said:
slick4591":13gmpoc5 said:
greybeard":13gmpoc5 said:

Hopefully Trump gets to replace her too.

odds on next nominee
Brett Kavanaugh - Maryland 3-2
Thomas Hardiman - Pennsylvania 3-1
Amy Coney Barrett - Indiana 7-1
Amul Thapar - Kentucky 10-1
Raymond Kethledge - Michigan 15-1
Joan Larsen - Michigan 15-1
Diane Sykes - Wisconsin 20-1
Patrick Wyrick - Oklahoma 99-1
Merrick Garland 100-1

TexasBred":11q5hd4q said:
slick4591":11q5hd4q said:
greybeard":11q5hd4q said:

Too funny.

Early in my federal service, I was testifying before an Administrative Law Judge. Upon my word, he slept through the entire court proceedings. That evening as I was preparing for the next day with my agency attorney, I ask how the heII can he sleep through the entire proceedings and make a ruling. John Williams - my attorney who was about 30 years my senior - replied, he will read the briefs submitted by each side. Don't worry about it, those are the ones who usually rule in the government's favor.

True Grit Farms":244kyi04 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":244kyi04 said:
Actually Garland would be a genius move.
Why's that?

He was Obama's choice, which would paint them into a corner b/c he is a judge the GOP said they would vote for previously, and they (democrats) approved of. Only reason he didn't get in was that they were waiting for the election.

Take a look at midterm election predictions. Democrats may own both the House and the Senate in November. This is going to be dramatic to watch how this unfolds. Timing will be important.

Merrick Garland was passed over twice in favor of Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan as it was feared he might not
be liberal enough. He was Obama's nominee as it was believed he was the only one moderate enough to pass with
bipartisan support.

Brett Kavanaugh is believed to be the favored choice, but it took nearly 3 years (33 months) for him to be confirmed
after Bush nominated him for the circuit court vacancy.

The final two came down to Neil Gorsuch and Hardiman last time, so Hardiman is definitely in the mix.

TennesseeTuxedo":2lyj6ejf said:
Bright Raven":2lyj6ejf said:
Take a look at midterm election predictions. Democrats may own both the House and the Senate in November. This is going to be dramatic to watch how this unfolds. Timing will be important.

I honestly don't think that will happen.

Ron is listening to the same polls that predicted Clinton by a landslide.

slick4591":1t3qw52s said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1t3qw52s said:
Bright Raven":1t3qw52s said:

I honestly don't think that will happen.

Ron is listening to the same polls that predicted Clinton by a landslide.

I made that same mistake in 2016.

Latest posts