Just Wondering

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I'm just curious if anybody has ever seen this before.
At last years county fair there were no Hereford steers or heifers.
Now our vets daughter is crazy about Hereford cattle. So being nice we gave her first choice of any bred heifer and steer she wanted. She was just tickled pink.
Well she is a little down in the mouth now.
Another family found out that she got some Herefords, so this other family went clear to Kansas and bought a Hereford show steer. Now these people are known for showing Black Angus.
Makes me wonder if they did it just to show her up or what.

Told her not to worry and just have fun. She is sure proud of her cattle though. :D
Can hardly wait to see her show them in the fair.

its a case of monkey see monkey do.sounds like those people do want to show a steer against her.an yes they prolly want to beat her.but if thats the case why not show an angus steer against her hereford steer.

It's stupid, but yes it happens.

I just wish we had cattle at our fair this year. There were a total of 12 beef cattle, and about 15 dairy cattle. The dairy all came from 2 families. Back when I showed, there would be 40 steers and as many or more heifers. Hope its just a cyclical thing, and the numbers will come back up.

I luv herfrds":ht0a62do said:
I'm just curious if anybody has ever seen this before.
At last years county fair there were no Hereford steers or heifers.
Now our vets daughter is crazy about Hereford cattle. So being nice we gave her first choice of any bred heifer and steer she wanted. She was just tickled pink.
Well she is a little down in the mouth now.
Another family found out that she got some Herefords, so this other family went clear to Kansas and bought a Hereford show steer. Now these people are known for showing Black Angus.
Makes me wonder if they did it just to show her up or what.

Told her not to worry and just have fun. She is sure proud of her cattle though. :D
Can hardly wait to see her show them in the fair.

A couple of things come to mind:

How do you know the family bought a Hereford steer BECAUSE the vet's daughter got one? Maybe they had planned to switch breeds or add one?

And how many animals does it take to make a class? Perhaps they thought they'd help get a Hereford class started? It's sad that no Herefords were shown last year. I hope they make a comeback at your fair this year.

Is your last name Jones? They may be trying to keep up with you. :D

I went to the Fort Worth Fat Stock Show (there's a new name for it now but I don't recall it) last spring and had hoped to get a look at Murray Greys. There were none there in any class. We enjoyed the show nevertheless. Grandchildren were as fascinated as if they were at the zoo for the first time. I hadn't gone to that show in a very long time.

Frankie this family has shown Angus for the last few years. They were talking about where they were going to get their next Angus.
So you can see it was a big surprise when they rolled in for the trimming of the cattle with a Hereford.

Might be a pretty small showing this year. Word has it that one of the 4-H clubs has refused to come because the date was changed. :roll:

I luv herfrds":3hkrfn1z said:
Frankie this family has shown Angus for the last few years. They were talking about where they were going to get their next Angus.
So you can see it was a big surprise when they rolled in for the trimming of the cattle with a Hereford.

Might be a pretty small showing this year. Word has it that one of the 4-H clubs has refused to come because the date was changed. :roll:

So you don't really know that these people got a Hereford because your vet's daughter got one? Am I understanding you correctly? If the competiton was light in Herefords, they may be looking for an opportunity for an easy win.

I have a friend thought he saw an opportunity when Hereford participation dropped at our fair. There wasn't a single heifer there one year. So he got busy and got a couple ready next year only to find out that a dozen or so other people had done the same thing. They had one of the largest classes at the fair that year. :D

Frankie they always show all the steers together. Same with the heifers. It doesn't matter the breed.

It has been always been a very small showing of Herefords here, so who knows.

Very generous of you! As adults, we need to encourage youth to get involved with livestock, seems its a lost art. Ive been giving my friend's daughter riding lessons for no charge..its good for me too, I must have lost SOME weight from following her around the arena and teaching :)

I would tell this young lady, TAKE PRIDE in her animals and have fun..this is 4-h and suppossed to be a learnng experince. Who care if this family bought a herford, regardless if their reasons...

Encourage this girl, help her out and let her have fun! 4-h has become so cut throat recently, its sad.

spinandslide we offered her the use of our Hereford bulls for breeding the heifer she bought from us. She was going to take us up on it, but her dad misunderstood what date we were going to pull the bulls, so they are going to AI her instead. The daughter was pretty disgusted. Told her that if she is interested she can have first pick again this fall. Told her to come take a look and decide.
We like this family so much and I just adore the daughter.
She is very proud of her animals. I always ask her how they are doing and I get a very long story of how each one is doing and how they are acting and how they each have a different personality. :D :lol2:

Like I said it just made her down in the mouth when another Hereford showed. I think she was looking forward to having the only one.
Must make interesting dinner conversation in their house. Father and daughter like Herefords and the two sons like black baldies. Mother just stays out of it. :lol2: