Just wondering if anyone has ever used a BWF bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
:hide: just sitting in a dr office and trying to occupy some time. I know folks use sim angus, limflex and balancers. In my mind though those are still crosses. Has anyone used a BWF f1 Hereford/angus or a Sim Hereford.

Ky hills":2eel1ya8 said:
just sitting in a dr office and trying to occupy some time. I know folks use sim angus, limflex and balancers.
In my mind though those are still crosses. Has anyone used a BWF f1 Hereford/angus or a Sim Hereford.
There is nothing new under the sun.... not even black herefords. :)

F1 Hereford x Angus bull calves become fancy steers in our outfit. If you want baldies, why not use a Hereford bull on Angus cows, or an Angus bull on Hereford cows. No need to try and reinvent the wheel. There are plenty of good Hereford or Angus bulls available.

ALACOWMAN":f7cruc5n said:
Think it was a hypo'pathetic question.... :cowboy:

Hypothetical perhaps wasn't intending it to be pathetic but I reckon in a sense it was given the sentiment about that subject. My basis for the topic is that some crosses have become stabilized like the various American breeds, where as in more recent years F1 Sim Angus, Lim Flex for example have become common place. Over the years I have seen a few very few BWF and Charolais Angus cross Bulls. The resulting calves looked ok though I know hybrid vigor was compromised on mixed cows. I guess my thoughts behind the post was why wouldn't other crosses work in some situations. Not advocating going that route and I agree with another post that there are plenty of Angus or other breeds of bulls available.

For some reason the stabilization of the Angus/Hereford cross evokes emotion not seen in LimFlex, SimAngus, etc.

Not sure why, but even a newbie like me sees it.

When you stabilize the baldie you take away every thing that makes it great in the first place. Mainly Heterosis , and two breeds that really compliment each other......outside of the color patten,its strike two..its like the braford and the F1 tiger.. The F1 cow runs circle around the purebred Braford....and she'll more than likely live twice as long,and makes the commercial man money..

ALACOWMAN":3imhb9zv said:
When you stabilize the baldie you take away every thing that makes it great.. Mainly Heterosis , and two breeds that really compliment each other......outside of the color patten,its strike two..

Good point.

Ky hills":3ubhqv6y said:
ALACOWMAN":3ubhqv6y said:
When you stabilize the baldie you take away every thing that makes it great.. Mainly Heterosis , and two breeds that really compliment each other......outside of the color patten,its strike two..

Good point.
Certainly makes sense.

HDRider":3rrutgv6 said:
Ky hills":3rrutgv6 said:
ALACOWMAN":3rrutgv6 said:

Good point.
Certainly makes sense.
it does :shock: i guess even a blind nut can find a squirrel once in awhile :cowboy:

My neighbor raised a black baldie bull several years ago. It was a good looking bull and raised good calves but everyone talked bad about it. I think it's just one of those things, kinda like owning a Dodge instead of a Ford or Chevrolet.

I see them no different than a Balancer, SIMM/Angus, etc. I have used a Balancer and guess I would use a Baldie if he was a good one.

ALACOWMAN":1szqxgis said:
When you stabilize the baldie you take away every thing that makes it great in the first place. Mainly Heterosis , and two breeds that really compliment each other......outside of the color patten,its strike two..its like the braford and the F1 tiger.. The F1 cow runs circle around the purebred Braford....and she'll more than likely live twice as long,and makes the commercial man money..
How long does it take (generations) to stabilize a two breed cross to eliminate hybrid vigor?

Ebenezer":3l0gj4o5 said:
ALACOWMAN":3l0gj4o5 said:
How long does it take (generations) to stabilize a two breed cross to eliminate hybrid vigor?
How many generations does it take before you can get predictable results of what the offspring is going to look like? This is the only negative I can see of not using a full blood animal.

There is breed regression to stabilize a crossbred,, you '""might ""get the animal you want,but not all the heterosis..id rather have two breeds preferably linebred to get the biggest bang of heterosis...but to each there own..

Ebenezer":2ab7vt6v said:
ALACOWMAN":2ab7vt6v said:

Brahman has lost a lot of the vigor over the last 40 years. It's a stabilized composite.

If I could find a reliable source for pure, linebred Nelore cows to use with Hereford bulls I'd be a rich man. You can become a poor man quickly trying to build a Brahman herd to make F1 Brafords.

ALACOWMAN":7vtvwvox said:
I have been thinking about this. I see what you are saying, and don't doubt it for a second.

But, is the stabilized BWF superior to its pure bred Angus and Hereford lineage? I hear what you are saying about losing the heterosis, but as a "new" breed, is it a better breed?

Latest posts