Just wondering if anyone has ever used a BWF bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

OK - Let's go with that. If they are not consistent then can we agree they are not stabilized? Or even in a stable breed we see inconsistency, right?

Be patient with me. Assuming it is stabilized and they achieve as much consistency as any other breed, wouldn't they be a good starting point to renew heterosis with another breed, say Brahma for the south and maybe Simmental in the north. Then they would still be suitable for a 3 way cross.

Just pondering something I know nothing about.

HDRider":rsumtscm said:
OK - Let's go with that. If they are not consistent then can we agree they are not stabilized? Or even in a stable breed we see inconsistency, right?

Be patient with me. Assuming it is stabilized and they achieve as much consistency as any other breed, wouldn't they be a good starting point to renew heterosis with another breed, say Brahma for the south and maybe Simmental in the north. Then they would still be suitable for a 3 way cross.

Just pondering something I know nothing about.
yep...you could get hetrosis with them now, bred to some other breeds.. But the superior to the parents part are in the F1's...Id like to see a good composite black Hereford breed true, at least as good as himself..the saying both parents contribute 50/50 and that's true...but you won't see as much consistency in a group as you will, sired by a good linebred bull...they mark their calves""""cookie cutters"""they look like he crapped them out himself..I say this from my experience only ...

If I could find a reliable source for pure, linebred Nelore cows to use with Hereford bulls I'd be a rich man. You can become a poor man quickly trying to build a Brahman herd to make F1 Brafords.
You might, in India or S. America, but sure not in this part of the world.

greybeard":2ten5cbq said:
If I could find a reliable source for pure, linebred Nelore cows to use with Hereford bulls I'd be a rich man. You can become a poor man quickly trying to build a Brahman herd to make F1 Brafords.
You might, in India or S. America, but sure not in this part of the world.
I'd just rather use a American grey, deeper bodied,heavier boned....

There is a reason Black Baldie momma's too the market. They are money makers. Wean big, good quality calves and very fertile.

Alacowman, the Nelore in Brazil are just as nice as any Grey Brahman up here.

Those funky looking things Brafordman had were not what you see on Pecuaria Brasil or at the big cattle shows. That was some kind of scam...polled Nelore...they looked more like polled giraffes.

I haven't dabbled with purebred Brahman since the late 80's.. My problem here now would be getting the """right type""females...not enough Hereford or Brahman to pick & choose from..id hate to have too start over now in the game... The good Females around here,would bankrupt you. Rather put my money in a """all I can afford"""bull...a few cows can take you so far..one right bull will take you even farther...

Latest posts