Just wondering . . . Allergies ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
My allergist Doc thinks I'm nuts, but respects my life style. I have huge allergies to just about everything that grows green or grows hair. That takes 2 different shots every 3 weeks, nasal RX daily, daily pill, and an in-haler always on hand. I can help load/off-load hay on/off the trailer in the open; can't deal with it in the barn. Hubby generally does in-barn feeding, but I do it if he can't. When grain and hay cutting are happening within a couple miles, with our normal hefty winds, I have extra trouble. But I'll sit in the barn all night if I have to, waiting or watching for a newborn or how it's doing when it hits the ground.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Kathie in Thorp":2asxuw1n said:
My allergist Doc thinks I'm nuts, but respects my life style. I have huge allergies to just about everything that grows green or grows hair. That takes 2 different shots every 3 weeks, nasal RX daily, daily pill, and an in-haler always on hand. I can help load/off-load hay on/off the trailer in the open; can't deal with it in the barn. Hubby generally does in-barn feeding, but I do it if he can't. When grain and hay cutting are happening within a couple miles, with our normal hefty winds, I have extra trouble. But I'll sit in the barn all night if I have to, waiting or watching for a newborn or how it's doing when it hits the ground.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Try accupuncture. It has worked wonder for some folks I know!

I have not tried accupuncture -- don't like needles. Started shots at age 10 -- was off them between about age 22 to 26 when I wasn't living in the country/dealing with stock and in a different climate. When I started again, w/out shots, I came in in the morning after chores, gasping for breath with blue lips and blue nails. I was afraid to go see the doc -- didn't want to hear that I was going to die, but I'd been in the ER for resp. therapy. But it was just all the allergy stuff. My allergist saved my life.

Kathie in Thorp":2e54vz1t said:
I have not tried accupuncture -- don't like needles. Started shots at age 10 -- was off them between about age 22 to 26 when I wasn't living in the country/dealing with stock and in a different climate. When I started again, w/out shots, I came in in the morning after chores, gasping for breath with blue lips and blue nails. I was afraid to go see the doc -- didn't want to hear that I was going to die, but I'd been in the ER for resp. therapy. But it was just all the allergy stuff. My allergist saved my life.

My buddy was living on shots and one year he decided to try the accupuncturist . It changed his life.

Kathie in Thorp":cvzeo4kz said:
Just curious, 3waycross, how old is your buddy? how long had he been living on shots after diagnosis?

Late 60's now this was about 15 years ago. I don't know on the shots

Kathie in Thorp":3km2cxlh said:
I have not tried accupuncture -- don't like needles.
Try it. I am going to accupuncture now and the needles do not hurt. Sometmes just a slight twinge when they go in. I had 11 in my back last time and I think 17 the time before. I had to ask how many because I could not see them and could not feel them. Got another session Friday.
Mine are for back problems.
For joint problems they may hurt.

Accupuncture can often give amazing results. I can walk now without using a cane and don't hobble too much.

I really don't have any proof that it works and it could be a coincedence but I began taking Vitamin C in huge quantities about two years ago and my allergic reactions haven't been anywhere near as bad since then.
I started taking vitamin c about two years ago at a rate of around 800% of my daily requirement in addition to a diet that is already high as I'm a citrus farmer. I haven't been sick since I started taking it and after a while i noticed that while I still puff up or sneeze a little, it goes away rapidly once I get away from the problem and wash my face. For the first time in my life I can go for most of the year without any allergy medication. I can't say for sure that it's the vitamin c but it's the only thing I'm doing differently.

If you don't like needles, you sure don't want to be tested for carpal tunnel syndrome. They stick you dozens of times with electrified needles to test your reaction. It's barbaric. Upside is you'll have no fear of non-electrified needles afterward.

I am alllergic to everything under the sun that has some sort of life. This year has been abnormally bad. Use to do the shots, take antihistamines...sometimes several at a time, and over 300.00 in inhalers a month.
I went to the allergist again about 5 years ago. Got tested for everything again. New one, or maybe one that they never tested before...cows and horses. Rated 4 plus signs...the most they assign to an allergy. The testor asked for my occupation, and i told her cattle farmer. She mentioned i might want to try a new carreer choice. That is not going to happen. I just take what i need before i work cows with hubby. Still calve, still glove up. Haying is a bit of a test for me though. I only bale and rake now when they really need me. Barn work is difficult but i get by. I help but I am not a main contender anymore in the hay feeding and bedding. Thankfully that happens only a few weeks of the year.

I hope once our lands here dry out and get back to normal, the molds and pollens will go back to normal so life can get back to normal. Doc says abnormally bad for everyone with hay fever allergies. Hopefully next year i can mow the lawn again, and weed the flower beds.

My friend arrived here from South Dakota 2 days ago. He immediately plugged up with alergies. I sent him to the accupuncturist today and she helped him a lot. She also advised that he continue to take ahtihistimines along with her treatment.

My brother "allergic to life"... dogs/cats/trees/pollen/grass/etc. etc.

the nasal rinse thing has gotten him off of all the medications -- NeilMed is the name (I just looked it up online), he does it once a day and it works for him.

I'm allergic to absolutely nothing at all and don't get hayfever, my wife on the other hand suffers from hayfever chronically and is so allergic to rye grass that her entire face swells up like a balloon. Viral Guard taken daily helps to prevent the worst hayfever attacks and its very high in Vit C, so my ol'e mate cow pollinator may very well be onto something.

I've always had trouble with contact skin allergies. If I have a reaction to something it gets ugly real quick. Never been tested to see what's causing it so now I just make sure I use the same deodorant, soap, cologne , etc. If I try something new I'm taking a chance I don't want to take. Had a really bad reaction to treated lumber once so now when I handle it I make sure I wear gloves and never touch the gloves to any part of my body. So far so good.

As for the airborne stuff, I never had any problems till the last couple of years. Usually gets me in the spring and usually after I or someone close by has mowed. Nothing real bad, just enough to notice it, and an OTC allergy pill clears it right up. My Dad and both my brothers used to get hay fever something terrible. Luckily, I took after Mom on this one as she's 88 now and never had any allergy problems that I know of.

Bee pollen... we have honey bees and sell a lot of honey, bees wax and candles, also collect their pollen. If you have allergies from local plants and grasses, all you need to do is get in touch with a beekeeper in your community. Most people can relieve their allergies by just eating a tablespoon of local (non- processed) honey each day. Others need a more powerful dose and get the beekeeper to sell them some actual pollen. You take only a few little curds a day to start, then adjust if need be. Worth a try.....

My allergies aren't just the grasses . . . if it grows green or grows hair, it gets me. Grass, hay, trees, garden, weeds, cat, dog, horse, cow, goat and every variety of all.

agree with cameldairy on the bee pollen. It does work. Too a point. Too much for those who are super sensitive can cause a serious reaction
I have every pollen allergy out there. My first year extracting saw me covered in hives all season. Now nothing. I get enough of it from handling frames, extracting and what honey i eat. When it comes to handling frames of pollen, I am suited up and it is in the form of bee bread (mixed with honey and capped). So there is a barrier there for me.
Some take the pollen. My thought on that is, it can be an overload to some who are really sensitive. I thought of trying it, but just touching it sends my system into overload. So be carefull on the actual pollen, and keep an eye out for any reactions from it. It might take a while for the reactions to manifest itself.
It only works with pollen or honey from your area and make sure it is raw honey.
It's like taking allergy shots. Yes it does build an immunity, but sometimes the next up dose can cause a reaction and then shots have to be scaled back for a while to build up.

Latest posts