Just Wanted to Share

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Got this from a cop page.

Las Vegas PD Officer":33zzk93x said:
I am home after an 18.5 hour shift. And yes, I am safe. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the calls, texts, Facebook messages... even from people I almost never talk to, or haven't talked to in years. It's always a huge comfort to know people care. If I haven't responded, please know that I am fielding a lot of these calls from family and friends, and doing the best I can. I'm super exhausted so bear with me... a little about the incident...

The first 7 hours went pretty much like every other shift goes. Then while I'm sitting there eating my much-anticipated Chipotle on my lunch break, radio broadcast… active shooter at the Mandalay Bay Hotel. For the next 11 hours, we all experienced a number of things. Stress and anxiety were among the most common emotions. Listening to the radio while we were headed towards the Mandalay Bay, listening to the stress in my partners' voices, listening to them shouting about how many victims they saw, the fact that shots were still being fired. The chaos of not knowing where the shots were coming from, or who was shooting them. The fact that it was a fully automatic weapon, machine-gun style…. Whoever this was, he outguns us. Hearing gun shots on the radio while my partners were asking for help, knowing you are still miles away, is nothing that any cop wants to ever experience. On arrival we moved in on foot, still not knowing where the shots were coming from. Learning vague details from numerous panicked 911 callers… some of them saying there were multiple shooters in the Tropicana Hotel, New York New York Hotel, Mirage Hotel, Paris Hotel… the ongoing radio traffic about more victims being found, more shots being fired… Even that didn't compete with the faces of people running away. The citizens and tourists we all swore to protect, running for their lives, hoping that we could give them a miracle. And of course the frustration we get when people question you… "Why do I have to leave?" "But my hotel is that way." "Why are you yelling at me to put my hands up? That's not very nice." "Why are you pointing rifles at me? That's scary." The herding dogs get frustrated with the sheep who don't want to listen. That's why the Sheepdog has to bite the sheep, growl at the sheep, essentially scare the sheep into submission, for their own good. Because some just don't know how to save themselves. Some don't know or understand the magnitude of what is unfolding. Now the most deadly active shooter incident in modern American history, and I try to save your life and rush you to safety, and the Sheepdogs, herding the sheep to safety, are criticized for their "aggression." But all those negatives are forgotten when you find a crying, terrified family sheltered in place inside a bathroom stall. When you get to guide a horrified mother and her crying child to safety.

But even that… even that does not compare to the most powerful, and to me one of the most important aspects of this whole thing. The bravery and courage of first responders that only we get to witness and fully understand. The fact that one of my coworkers was on vacation tonight, heard what was happening, and suited up at home and came with us to fight the wolf. In my 12-man unit, only 9 of us were "on duty" - the other 3 came from home when they heard what was unfolding. At the end of the day, we fight side by side, and we go in together. Unfortunately, we don't always all make it out, and today, an LVMPD police officer who was off duty attending the concert, was among those who tragically did not make it out of the festival alive. Today I will honor that Officer, along with the more than 50 people who died. Today I will think of their families and friends, who now have to learn how to go on without their loved one. And today I will ask you, for one day, to put your politics aside. Forget about Donald Trump. Forget about the NFL. Forget about whether you should stand or kneel. Forget about our differences in opinion when it comes to policing in America, and how cops treat their communities. Let's come together as a UNITED nation, and honor the victims and their families. Let's come together as a UNITED nation and honor the first responders who worked incredibly long and stressful shifts, without food, water, or even bathroom breaks. If you wonder how cops view the communities they police, consider the fact that so many of them came in today, off duty, to help. Not because it's a job, but because it's their calling. It's who they are.

The sheep don't always want the sheepdog around, because he reminds them there is evil in the world. But, still, the sheepdog is willing to fight in defense of the sheep, and at a moment's notice, he is willing to lay down his own life for the sheep he loves. It is simply who he is.

Nice healthy dose of reality that too many people infrequently consider..thanks for posting.

Skeeter if you don't "get it" after that first post then I guess you never will. The cop mentioned wasn't trying to be a dick - he was trying to move them along so he could help the next ones. In the mean time he was dealing with the stupid questions from people who should not have been asking them in the first place. It is a active shooter situation - do what the officers ask and whine later. There was no guarantee and it was not immediately known that there was only one shooter and he was down. Officers are trained to prepare for distractions and then when first responders arrive a second shooter/bomb, etc to take out the first responders on scene.

I totally understand being frustrated trying to do your job, and people won't get the h__ outta the way.
His use of the terms "sheep" and "sheepherder" show what he thinks of the public.

Skeeter I disagree. Military and law enforcement personnel catch that reference immediately. It is from Lt David Grossmans book about the sheepdogs and the sheep- citizens. People really don't want either one around until they need them. Read the book. It is not a derogatory term. Sheepdogs take pride in protecting their sheep. They live for it. That is why they run towards danger when everyone else is running away.

Excuse me. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Killing. Sheepdogs, Wolves and sheep.
I apologise for shorting him on hard earned rank.

skeeter swatter":3okop9ex said:
I am not a sheep and I have a real problem with someone being a dick and then telling me "it's for your own good."

My guess is you're the only one here that doesn't understand the reference.

skeeter swatter":21suvvsk said:
I totally understand being frustrated trying to do your job, and people won't get the h__ outta the way.
His use of the terms "sheep" and "sheepherder" show what he thinks of the public.

He didn't use the term "sheepherder". He said "Sheepdog", referring to his job protecting the sheep. I agree that it wasn't derogatory.

slick4591":28wmiqes said:
skeeter swatter":28wmiqes said:
I am not a sheep and I have a real problem with someone being a dick and then telling me "it's for your own good."

My guess is you're the only one here that doesn't understand the reference.

No I didn't like it either. I would like to shake the officers hand and thank him for his bravery. Pay his bill at Chipotle.
And tell him he shouldn't refer to people as sheep.

Stop being so concrete. Life is not always that way. When you are trying to get people out of an area that is detrimental to their well being and they are being obtuse about the situation, you need to get their attention some way. That's all he is referring to.

slick4591":6s0mrzg0 said:
Stop being so concrete. Life is not always that way. When you are trying to get people out of an area that is detrimental to their well being and they are being obtuse about the situation, you need to get their attention some way. That's all he is referring to.

Understood I don't find the sheep thing a big deal. I aint ****ed up about it. ;-)
And I understand the point he's making.
But it did raise my brow for a second.
One of the first things i commented on to wife was how impressive it was the police stopped this guy so quickly. They did a great job.
He could have worded it better. That's all.

Latest posts