Just to show I practice what I preach.

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Look at the eyeset of these bulls at the bale ring. Ages from 11-13 months.
100_6048.jpg

sporder":2wjg7hzn said:
forgive me for being a little under educated but what is the importance of eyeset and eye pigment. how does it effect the quality of the bull/cow.
It helps shade the eyes. Herefords have been known for cancer eye. Shadeing and/or pigment helps in prevention.

The bulls have very good eyeset. I am sure that deep eyeset and pigment around the eyes are positive traits. But I am convinced that inheritance plays a large role in cancer eye. What do you think?

djinwa":38xvhg3x said:
Seems like pigment would be better than deep eyeset. :)

Who knows which is better??? I would kinda like to have pigment, deep eyeset, AND a pedigree that is known to be free of cancer eye for six generations. I guess I am greedy.

3waycross":2sf2u28u said:
The least you could do is clean em up if yer gonna take their picture :D

I agree, he's supposed to be setting the example, this type of shoddy work can not be allowed to carry on. Oh, I'll take the big red neck, second from my left. :)

djinwa":fuf5nk4h said:
Seems like pigment would be better than deep eyeset. Can they see where they're going? :)

If that was the case why do all British and European breeds get pink eye and even cancer eye while your sanga types don't?

Eyeset is what prevents problems, pigment is used to sell bulls to other uninformed people like yourself.

alexfarms":2zpb5bh1 said:
The bulls have very good eyeset. I am sure that deep eyeset and pigment around the eyes are positive traits. But I am convinced that inheritance plays a large role in cancer eye. What do you think?

I'm sure it does, but go back and look at the eyeset, pigment, lashes, etc of those lines proned to get cancer eye and tell me what you see. Cancer eye isn't really a problem here anymore even though with our sun you'd expect it to be.

I haven't had a single case since 2002 although there was one cow (bought in) that I suspected something might be brewing, but she was sold for slaughter so fast that I never got the chance to see if it was indeed the beginning of a carcinoma. Don't have any heifers out of her either.

Brandonm22":3fzgti3i said:
djinwa":3fzgti3i said:
Seems like pigment would be better than deep eyeset. :)

Who knows which is better??? I would kinda like to have pigment, deep eyeset, AND a pedigree that is known to be free of cancer eye for six generations. I guess I am greedy.

You can have all of that in all 4 bulls posted. You would never find a bull on my place that don't meet all those criteria. I stopped keeping any bulls intact without 100% eye pigment two years ago.

Latest posts