Just starting!!!!!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I want to find out what is the best all around breed to start out with. I do not have alot of land and I live in a very hot, humid area. I realize I cannot start with many cows, but if everything goes as planned, I will be leasing larger tracts of land eventually to grow my herd. I am looking for calving ease mainly but also a breed that will do well with the heat. With my lack of pasture, I will supplement with hay and sweet feed. Also, for starting out, what is the best option: buy young heifers and breed or buy cow/calf pairs? I work full time so low maintenance in the beginning is also important. Thanks for any info.

[email protected]

At the risk of being flogged, I would recommend something with a Brahman influence, like a half Brahman half Hereford, Angus, Gelbvieh, Simmenthal. That would be my order of preference. Watch out for excessive growth/stature in the cows cause they will require more groceries for body maintenance. I always prefer and recommend for newbies to start with pairs. You can get your feet wet in the business and know that you have fertile cows that can calve and raise that calf. Many producers cull their cows by age, because the youngest cows should have the best genetics. If you find some older cows, say 5 to 7 years old, that are still sound in feet and legs, udder and teeth you can benefit from the cows experience and still get some good years out of them. Breed those F1 cows back to good "real" bull, not some pound bull from the salebarn and you will get calves that have most of the ear knocked off.

dunmovin farms

> I want to find out what is the
> best all around breed to start out
> with. I do not have alot of land
> and I live in a very hot, humid
> area. I realize I cannot start
> with many cows, but if everything
> goes as planned, I will be leasing
> larger tracts of land eventually
> to grow my herd. I am looking for
> calving ease mainly but also a
> breed that will do well with the
> heat. With my lack of pasture, I
> will supplement with hay and sweet
> feed. Also, for starting out, what
> is the best option: buy young
> heifers and breed or buy cow/calf
> pairs? I work full time so low
> maintenance in the beginning is
> also important. Thanks for any
> info.

> Dunmovin has the right idea older pairs are a lot less trouble unless ther"re culls for being trouble makers. Don"t forget beefmasters or murray greys Murrays would be a good terminal bull on the brahma X cows Dunmovin likes and the heifers could be kept

Great advice. I would also add that if possible buy the cows from a ranch or individual with a good reputation. This could help assure some quality over salebarn offerings.As well as give you alittle more time to evaluate the cattle than the the time it takes to pass through the sale ring. Good luck

[email protected]

Latest posts