Just starting out...

Help Support CattleToday:

duke81

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Well I am t-totally new to raising cattle and need advice/help on how to get started. I own 25 acres and have 2 cows I am helping raise (they're my grandmas) one is a female calf (Brahman) and the other is a female, not sure how old, (Red Angus) and she might be pregnant. We let our neighbor run his cattle with ours because he doesn't have that much land and has about 15, one of which is a Beefalo bull. That's about it for the situation, now my questions: How to tell if she is really pregnant, the calf is VERY skiddish/shy how to 'cure' that, any downsides to letting them run with the others? Also, my wife and I are going to start buying calves of our own, any breed that's a good 'starter' breed to help us get the feel of how stuff works, and what to look for in a good calf of the breed (we don't plan on showing, just commercial). Any other help/advice will be appreciated, sorry this post is so long I'm full of questions :lol: . Thanks in advance!

As far as your cow being pregnant, you could get her preg tested by a vet. there is one old fellow up here who says that he can tell that they are pregnant four months because he can see a swirl on the side of their belly. He also says, the higher the swirl up the side of the belly, the more fertile the cow. I think I can see it but its probably not a technique for beginners. As far as wht to get when starting out, i would recommend any of the British breeds (Angus, Hereford, Shorthorn, Galloway etc) for temperament. I would check to see what kind of cattle do well at the sale barn before making a final decision. Good Luck.

Considering where you are located in Texas, I would stay with the Brahman cross cattle. The long haired cattle don't do well in this area. Also the Brahman crosses deal with the heat and insects better and bring better money at the salebarns in this area.

A swirl as in the hair makin a tornado looking design?

A Brahman cross cattle, just a brahman + whatever?

Sorry I left that part out.

Brahman breeds like: Simbrah, Brangus, Beefmaster, Santa Gertrudis

We have registered and commercial cross cattle.

Even on commercial cross cattle, we run a registered Simbrah bull. I would recommend a registered Brahman breed bull to put on your commercial cattle.

That's just my opinion though.

Are the Simbrah/Brangus/Beefmaster/ Santa Gertrudis breeds docile/good temperment? My wife says she wants nothin to do with a breed that's not :p . Also we have the brahman calf, it's too young to breed right now but when the time comes which breed would you pick for a bull as far as mating?

Another question, my neighbor has a young bull but I don't know what kind it is, its mother is reddish-brown white faced with black diamonds on her eyes, the bull calf is a deer color almost exactly looks like a deer/cow combo lol. Any ideas on what breed and if would be a good idea to mate our calf with it (depending on the breed)?

I have seen crazy and wild cows in all breeds.

Our cattle are gentle, we spend time among them. Walking, talking to them, etc. and some are former show heifers. We also don't work them with 4-wheelers or horses, just a bucket. Don't use hot shots or whips either. My opinion is that that helps them to be gentle.

Since you have a small place, I wouldn't think that you should have that much of a problem.

But again, that's just my experience and opinion.

we dont use anything right now, just a 5 gal bucket with 12% creep to get them up to the gate/fence :lol: and on foot.

duke81":3nn51ptd said:
Hello everyone! Well I am t-totally new to raising cattle and need advice/help on how to get started. I own 25 acres and have 2 cows I am helping raise (they're my grandmas) one is a female calf (Brahman) and the other is a female, not sure how old, (Red Angus) and she might be pregnant. We let our neighbor run his cattle with ours because he doesn't have that much land and has about 15, one of which is a Beefalo bull. That's about it for the situation, now my questions: How to tell if she is really pregnant, the calf is VERY skiddish/shy how to 'cure' that, any downsides to letting them run with the others? Also, my wife and I are going to start buying calves of our own, any breed that's a good 'starter' breed to help us get the feel of how stuff works, and what to look for in a good calf of the breed (we don't plan on showing, just commercial). Any other help/advice will be appreciated, sorry this post is so long I'm full of questions :lol: . Thanks in advance!

Brangus or Brangus plus would probably be your best bet. Only problem with Brangus as with most Brahman crosses is they come gentle as a housecat or hotter than a two dollar pistol. I played with the Brahman crosses as a younger, slimer, man. Just got to the point I didn't want to play rodeo anymore. Fullblood Brahmans are gentle cattle but smart not for the newbie, and they take a pretty good hit at the salebarn.

Cattle Rack Rancher":3c42vuqi said:
As far as your cow being pregnant, you could get her preg tested by a vet. there is one old fellow up here who says that he can tell that they are pregnant four months because he can see a swirl on the side of their belly. He also says, the higher the swirl up the side of the belly, the more fertile the cow. I think I can see it but its probably not a technique for beginners. As far as wht to get when starting out, i would recommend any of the British breeds (Angus, Hereford, Shorthorn, Galloway etc) for temperament. I would check to see what kind of cattle do well at the sale barn before making a final decision. Good Luck.
An old breeder told me that if the swirl between their eyes is level, or lower than they eyes, they will be gentle natured.

isn't that swirl refered to as a "cow lick"? in humans anyway?
donna

no, that's the crown that makes the swirl on humans, the hair little boys can't get to stay down no matter how much stuff they use is a 'cow lick' :lol:

Latest posts