Just some of the things...

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
...I thought about while fluffing hay today after 1.5 inches of rain squashed the windrows.

When you take a piece of bad meat and you pound it with a mallet to make it more tender. Do you think this makes it more digestible? If it does, do you think that since I will probably have to fluff the hay a total of four times to get it dry enough to bale, the hay will be more tender? If so, will this tenderness yield a higher digestibility? Or should I quite thinking on these lines and give some serious attention to legally changing my name to Fluffy? :???: :lol2:

Dear Fluffy--My question is when you pound the meat is it truly for digestibilty or just to increase the palatability. If indeed it is to increase palatability then the answer to your hay fluffing question is yes it will increase the palatability of the hay, mainly because wet hay equals holdy or rotten hay and that would not be palatible.
I do not think digestibility of the hay would be improved. -JMO-JLP

One more vote for Fluffy :lol2: . Hey Jogee tell us what you thought about when you were 20 and had to fluff hay :lol2: What a difference a few years can make. Anyway this thread inspired my new sig line.

Larry

I baled 15 acres this afternoon that had been on the ground since last Friday, tedded it 4 times, too. The ryegrass or festolium or whatever it was was pretty brown, but it was too mature to begin with. The timothy still had a nice blue color to it, the hay actually looked really nice in rolls.

Know what you mean, jed. Too much talk of pounding things.

larryshoat":1j9ofq05 said:
One more vote for Fluffy :lol2: . Hey Jogee tell us what you thought about when you were 20 and had to fluff hay :lol2: What a difference a few years can make. Anyway this thread inspired my new sig line.

Larry

At 20 I probably would have been saying a few words not fit for the board. Probably would have been using Google Earth to locate the weatherman's house so I could roll his yard in toilet paper as pay back. Now, I'm just proud I got some rain and no equipment broke. I also learned something. Since I normally start in one corner and bale every other windrow so when I make the return trip across the field I end up at my started point, I learned this is not the best way to do it if there is any chance of rain since the bales left in alternate rows will present a problem if you have to fluff and re-rake the field. I won't be doing this anymore but I do hope to get it up today.

Some interesting questions indeed Fluffy.

I look at this sort of like going to a resturant and having "hand cut" fries. You get all that love and attention devoted to one of the simple things in life in order to get charged higher prices. So, the moral of the story is that with all the love and attention you're giving to this hay, it would most certainly be worth more money. Therefore, you call it "horse hay" and charge a premium price.

After all, love ain't cheap...

Jogeephus":y50fqvzn said:
...I thought about while fluffing hay today after 1.5 inches of rain squashed the windrows.

When you take a piece of bad meat and you pound it with a mallet to make it more tender. Do you think this makes it more digestible? If it does, do you think that since I will probably have to fluff the hay a total of four times to get it dry enough to bale, the hay will be more tender? If so, will this tenderness yield a higher digestibility? Or should I quite thinking on these lines and give some serious attention to legally changing my name to Fluffy? :???: :lol2:

The reason your name is temporarily Fluffy, is because of the weather pattern coming over Mexico and Texas northward and then curving eastward over Missouri, northern Arkansas, and Tennessse and then it comes down southward over Georgia. A similar pressure system is why vette had a drought last year. Wet seasons are very wet and dry seasons are very dry. You are fortunate you can mow your hay without getting stuck.

Hi Fluffy, thinking you know can hurt the small matter between the ears, but why would you want to eat bad meat surely it would give you a bad stomach.????

Jogeephus":1ilz1ns7 said:

Interesting! I was thinking of meat today too, when I was raking and baling hay in the 98 degree humidity. Beef jerky with a hint of sunscreen. And when I finally took a shower, I could only think of that song " 'O Black Water".