Just some NE Montana Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I was up checking cows, pastures and crops today- and it was one of the first times bulls were all in the right places- no tore out fences- grass was greening up after the 3.5 inches of rain we got in the last 2 weeks- so I just snapped some pictures without cows....

The underpass that goes under the Highway that divides our pastures so the cows can get back and forth....
July112009016.jpg

Closeup of the underpass..About 6 inchs of water standing in it after the rains....One of the last wrecks I took off a horse was when I road up to the underpass to go thru- and a flock of pigeons flew out :shock: :roll: When I finally got air- I told the kids to just bury me there...
July112009017.jpg

The other thing needed to grow calves and fat cows besides grass- good water...One of the spring fed waterholes....
July112009019.jpg

The West Fork of Porcupine Creek (which is also spring fed in many places) and proof trees do grow on the prairies of NE Montana....Cocoa is looking for a cow to chase....
July112009021.jpg

But instead she decided to take a swim...
July112009023.jpg

The saddle horse pasture- which used to be Grandpa and Grandma's garden and potato patch (has a good spring fed well and they used to irrigate the patch in the dry years from it- first with a hand jack (kid powered)- and later a gas pump)...Good picnic spot and place for the kids to play....This was pretty well ate down to the bare ground by the horses before the rain came...
July112009025.jpg

Snapped this while looking over the wheat fields...Definitely not a bumper crop- but sure looks better than 2 weeks ago...The farmers of the group might notice the "whitetops" and the broken off heads from the hail we got with the last rain-- but I figure if I was adjusting I call it 25% hail damage and 50% rain improvement..Without the rain it probably wouldn't have been worth cutting...
July112009027.jpg

I lied- I did snap a picture of the neighbors snoopy yearling steers that were hanging on the fence- as I was leaving.... Not looking bad..I think the hired man told me there was 1900 in this pasture...They usually start selling them in about a month- with 2 or 3 sorts weighing from 800- 1000 lbs....
July112009028.jpg

A place I drive by 50 times a year- but never took time to take a picture of...An old stone barn on homestead that used to be a freighters stop for the teams and teamsters....Our place used to be too- but the stone barn (that housed 100 horses) burned down 50 years ago....
When we were kids we called this "The Fort"....

July112009031.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I like the "fort" and I really could use an undepass like you have. These are rare in this area. A friend of mine has one of these on his families farm. In fact, they filmed the movie The Patriot on his place and if you look real close on the horizon during a battle scene and one scene where they pan the horizon from the church you can see a large group of cedar trees all bunched up in one spot. These trees were all used to camoflauge the underpass.

Jogeephus":3oujp8ye said:
Thanks for sharing. I like the "fort" and I really could use an undepass like you have. These are rare in this area. A friend of mine has one of these on his families farm. In fact, they filmed the movie The Patriot on his place and if you look real close on the horizon during a battle scene and one scene where they pan the horizon from the church you can see a large group of cedar trees all bunched up in one spot. These trees were all used to camoflauge the underpass.

Probably wouldn't do you much good with all the snakes laying under there the cows wouldn't be able to use it :nod:

3waycross":1pq3wrjy said:
Jogeephus":1pq3wrjy said:

Probably wouldn't do you much good with all the snakes laying under there the cows wouldn't be able to use it :nod:

The cows would also drown cause they'd be about 4 foot of water in it if we had something like what Oletimer has. Must be nice though. Makes you think that maybe the county has its priorities right. :nod:

I guess I should be considering ourselves pretty lucky...
My sister called today- and I was moaning about the 97-98 degree heat up here today- but got no sympathy from her...

She said her part of the Hill Country area of Texas are in the 31st day of above 100 degree heat- with no rain :shock: :shock: ....Said she would be looking at selling cows in a couple of weeks if they get no moisture... :(

good pictures oldtimer, i had a simular experiance years ago with some pigs walking along a dirt road riding a stud, :( they were laying by some bushes i didnt see them and scared em when i ran up on em, they let out a squeal and ran ..... it was on, i finally got him stopped about half a mile from home

Latest posts