Just some Australian cattle pics for your viewing pleasure

Help Support CattleToday:

Right Australia !! Now its time for a comment from New Zealand.

Great phto's Keren, here are my picks before reading your captions.

I liked the Limo & Murray Grey bulls ( always under rated in NZ show rings I rekon, a bit like our Red Polls )

Nice hereford, Limo and Murray Grey heifer once again.

A question for you though, the Hereford in the led steer class looks to have testicles??? or maybe only one? In NZ that is called a "rig" or "stag" or a muck up. Lol. If it was a lamb it would be called a "cript orcid". :?

But saying that, we had a steer at work last winter that had quite a big pouch left on him.

Your comments please.

Great pics. Personally, I love seeing cattle from other countries better than from here. I think we're way behind in true quality cattle.

Without being a smarty i do agree with you. Cattle in our country are much more down to earth and lack the hype og the US cattle. As i 've said before less importance is placed on show ring performance in our country. There has been less infiltration of other bloodlines. We remain purists in most cases.
Colin

Redpoll - he was cut instead of banded, so still has the pouch, and he's set to kill at Sydney show next week - so he's got quite a bit of finish (fat) on him, and a fairly full pouch. I noticed it in the photo too and had to look twice, its not quite as large in 'real life'. He's probably the best purebred hereford steer I have ever seen, this photo doesnt show it but he is just so thick and so heavily muscled, he's a real powerhouse. Only a little steer, but a great one. Unfortunately he will come up against mainly limos at sydney.

Thank you brandon

Colin, it was wodonga show.

Australian":3qqjhkgb said:
Cattle in our country are much more down to earth and lack the hype og the US cattle. As i 've said before less importance is placed on show ring performance in our country. There has been less infiltration of other bloodlines.

Completely agree, particularly with these little local shows. The royals are starting to get a bit 'Americanised' if you know what I mean. Not fun.

most country shows range in numbers from 60 to upwards of 300. Our royal shows number from 200 to 1400. Beef 2009 in Rockhampton will most likely have about 2,000 head of about 34/35 breeds. It is held avery 3 years. The shows that I go to have from 120 to 400 head. Apart from when I show at Brisbane which has about 1200 head. Some shows are conducted as interbreed others have individual classes for each breed. Interbreeds are ok if the judge knows all the breeds that are shown. There are still ots of judges that don't know specific points about some breeds.
Colin