Just sold my calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
Sold two of my calves today and one weighed 515 i got .75 for her i was mad.So in walked the second he weighed 565 and i got .87 for her i thought that was ok.Couldnt figure out why the smallest sold for less she was nicer than the bigger one she was pretty short so could that be why.Turns out the smallest gained 2,1 pounds a day and the other gained 1.6 a day i didnt do so hot :(

i know your upset with what your calves brought.but they did bring a good price.1 thing is this heifer calves always bring less than steers/bulls.was those calves raised on a bottle or a cow.anther thing is people expect their calves to bring top price.me i always expect them to bring the ave price.

ok so they was on a nurse cow.how much feed a day did you give the calves.an it could be that 1 had better genetics than the other.

Seems like you should have done better. Small auction? Few buyers?
Sometimes not enough competitive bidding will hurt especially the singles.

Dixieangus":3v4w72pv said:
Couldnt figure out why the smallest sold for less she was nicer than the bigger one she was pretty short so could that be why :(

Dixie

I suspect you just answered your own question. Calves that are considered "shorts" will usually be discounted. The discount amount will depend on how "short" the animal is and what buyers are present. In my area there are a few buyers that will readily buy an animal that is only slightly short if they can get the right discount. The really short ones are heavily discounted.

TexasBred":1if2xwnw said:
"Shorts"??? Is that short legged or short bodies?? Or What? Don't guess I've heard the term.

TB

It could be either in the legs, body length or both. It has been my observation those with legs and body length in the normal proportions but both slightly short legs and short body length will sell the closest in price to "normal" calves. Those whose leg and body length that are not in the more "normal" proportions are usually discounted the most.

Probably made this as clear as mud.

Dixieangus":1t7dgq4y said:
Sold two of my calves today and one weighed 515 i got .75 for her i was mad.So in walked the second he weighed 565 and i got .87 for her i thought that was ok.Couldnt figure out why the smallest sold for less she was nicer than the bigger one she was pretty short so could that be why.Turns out the smallest gained 2,1 pounds a day and the other gained 1.6 a day i didnt do so hot :(

Calves are cheaper than they were a year ago. Proable the slowdown in the economy.