Just out think them

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
So there is a pretty big ranch here. Included in this ranch is 5,000 acres of landlocked BLM land. An outfitter came along and figured he could get paid big bucks by people to hunt elk on this land. I don't know all the details but he managed to make all the locals mad. He would use a helicopter to fly the clients and a camp on to the land. Strangely the helicopter would fly low over any elk herds on the private land in a manner which herded the elk to the BLM ground. So now the rancher, neighbors, and some cowboys spend the day before elk season riding every draw, canyon, hump, or bump looking for strays. Perfectly legit reason and timing to find those darn strays. And if doing that chases the elk off the BLM....... well it just couldn't be helped. Not a good idea to come into an area and make the neighbors mad.

The outfitter must be making serious money catering to the ultra wealthy. It'd be hard to find even the smallest and least capable rotor-wing for less than $1,500 per hour.

What elevation is the land?

The outfitter must be making serious money catering to the ultra wealthy. It'd be hard to find even the smallest and least capable rotor-wing for less than $1,500 per hour.

What elevation is the land?
One of the other neighbors was down at the Cowboy Christmas at the NFR. This outfitter was trying to sell him a hunt for $10,000. Claimed it was on "virgin ground" to hunt elk on. He looked at an aerial picture of the place. He told the outfitter to just zoom the picture out because his house was only a mile or so off from the photo he was shown. Certainly not virgin ground it was hunted every year.
I am just guessing on the elevation. I would say somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000 feet.

I am not familiar with blm land at all, as there isn't anything like that in WI. Doesn't the state have an easement to get to the public land? Here the state may own land that is landlocked but there is always an access for the public to get to it.

I am not familiar with blm land at all, as there isn't anything like that in WI. Doesn't the state have an easement to get to the public land? Here the state may own land that is landlocked but there is always an access for the public to get to it.
No access across private land. Sort of a bone of contention with some hunters and hunting groups through out the west. The vast majority of BLM land is still a government holding because it was unfit to homestead.

Wow I could see that being a big problem in todays society.
Why should it be a problem? In this county there is literally a little over one million acres of public land. Over 50% of this state is public land. The vast majority has public access. So what little is land lock is just that.

Latest posts