Just one more day

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I'm sure each of you has a mentor or two who you can always count on to give you advice when most needed. The fella that keeps you on the right path so to speak.

Last year, I mentioned I lost one of my mentors. He was one of the finest men and most knowledgeable forage men you'd ever meet and he is gone now. To make matters worse, cancer has put its claws in another mentor-friend of mine and it looks like it might do him in as well. This guy is a true cattleman thru and thru. He didn't complain or mention his condition to me. He is as tough as nails and I didn't even know he had cancer until he raised his arm to shoo a cow and I noticed the chemo line in his arm.

I went by to see him the other day and he is now too sick to even get out and see his cows much less me. Though I hope he gets well I just started reflecting on what if he don't. What a great loss to the community.

Then I wondered if I have shown my appreciation to him for all his help and advice. I don't feel like I have shown enough. I mean, why didn't I take an hour or so and drop by with some beer or something and watch his cows more often. Surely I wasn't that busy, if I was - I can't recall what was so dang important.

So I guess the purpose of my post is to remind each and everyone of you that life is short. Take every opportunity you have to spend time with those you care about while you and they can. Nothing is too important to get in the way of this.

In my case it may be too late to show my appreciation to my mentor/friend but in your case it - probably isn't.

So sorry to hear of your friend, cancer is a dreadful thing to happen to anyone. Hope you get to say goodbye to him and tell him how you feel, I am sure if he is that good a friend he already knows, but it doesn't hurt to tell him. Take care Chris.

So I guess the purpose of my post is to remind each and everyone of you that life is short. Take every opportunity you have to spend time with those you care about while you and they can. Nothing is too important to get in the way of this.

In my case it may be too late to show my appreciation to my mentor/friend but in your case it - probably isn't

Amen and well said.

We lost the local vet (wife's boss) two weeks ago to cancer. Wonderful man, he will be missed.

cfpinz

Latest posts