just #@$%@#^@$# great!

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
For those of you who know, I have a young charolais bull that is a project. The owner worked out a sweatheart deal with me and is letting me keep him until Jan. without paying - until I'm satisfied. Well, ofcourse with my luck, I went out yesterday evening to check on him and he's limping badly. This past weekend I pulled my other bull off of the cows and put him in the paddock with the young bull. I'm guessing that the big boy didn't like the youngster and the young charolais got hurt. With any luck it's just some sort of bruise, he was standing on his own, but had a pronounced limp/favor of his back left leg. Really bites, now I'm obligated to buy the bull..... Maybe I'll see some good signs when I get home this evening........ RRRGHHH!

Possibly your bigger bull mounted him?? Too much weight, may have tweaked something. Keep him seperated for a while and an eye on him. I hope it works out for ya.

your lucky,,, i borrowed a bull from a friend years ago in a pinch , the 2nd day he got over on my neighbor and killed his bull, so i had too pay for his bull and buy a new herd bull for myself.........a dam lesson well learned.

Yup I reckon the big guy roughed him up. As long as he is just limping, putting weight on the leg. Probably bruised. Keep him confined by himself or with a bred cow, steer for company so he's settled down. He'll be OK.

I have him with a couple of steers now, but I can't really seperate my bulls - they have to learn to live together in the winter. This is actually the first problem I've had with bulls fighting - maybe I've been lucky so far, but they usually sort out the dominance battle without any getting hurt. Now if there were cows involved, they would battle much more.

Cypress, You know? they have settled their differences. Once that happens they will get along fine. The young bull ain't likely to challenge again and the big guy would rather lounge around then waste energy. All will work out now with these guys. :nod:

Give him an anti-inflammatory just to be on the safe side, since he isn't your bull yet.

redpoll52":3t1d5mef said:
Get your vet to check him out too. Best to be safe than sorry ae
Vets rarely can tell "why" an animal is limping. Waste of money. If you had a "real" problem, like not putting any weight on it, open wound, etc - vet can help. I have very good vets, but -- limping - could be anything, and they can't ask their patient "where does it hurt?" :banana:
I agree with hitting him with anti inflammatory med.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2pr48xwe said:
redpoll52":2pr48xwe said:
Get your vet to check him out too. Best to be safe than sorry ae
Vets rarely can tell "why" an animal is limping. Waste of money. If you had a "real" problem, like not putting any weight on it, open wound, etc - vet can help. I have very good vets, but -- limping - could be anything, and they can't ask their patient "where does it hurt?" :banana:
I agree with hitting him with anti inflammatory med.
You're right about that and a few more !!! :tiphat:

Latest posts