Just got a cervix from the butcher shop...

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

...to visually learn the parts and process of AI'ing a little better. I haven't opened the package yet, but I'm thinking I won't be able to practice on that?? Dad's hands don't work like they use to, so I suppose It's time to start slowly taking over that chore. I'm looking for any tips and advice from you experienced techs. I've been watching, listening, and helping prep for years, just haven't tried my hand at it yet.

One of the best training aids I found was a dried corn cob with a hole drilled from end to end and an AI sleeve. Cut off the fingers of the sleeve and rubber band it at one end of the cob, then pull the sleeve back over so the cob is inside. Then without looking at it, hold it in one hand and practice manipulating the sleeve over the sheath and the cob over the sheath.

TexasBred":1tdu6zot said:
Another great use for the famous "corn cob". Any particular color best?? :lol: :lol:

Doesn;t matter since you won;t be looking at it!

show time":3dfismde said:
...to visually learn the parts and process of AI'ing a little better. I haven't opened the package yet, but I'm thinking I won't be able to practice on that?? Dad's hands don't work like they use to, so I suppose It's time to start slowly taking over that chore. I'm looking for any tips and advice from you experienced techs. I've been watching, listening, and helping prep for years, just haven't tried my hand at it yet.

When I did the training course we had the complete reproductive tracts to practice on. It was much easier to manipulate than the real deal, but I thought it was a great visual aide to help me understand exactly how everything fits together.

it might be a little easier to get the entire reproductive tract. You can probably get one from the butcher shop or from a science/vet supply catalog. Just make sure whatever you get that it is preserved properly, or if you get it fresh, preserve and store it properly. If not it makes a heck of a stink...it'll make you turn green :? :frowns:

Unless you are already really familiar with the Cervix use the one you have. Anything you learn will be a plus somewhere in the future. As already said preserve it or it will really stink.

What do you mean preserve it? I don't plan on keeping it for weeks and it is in the fridge now...the butcher shop said they would give "scraps" anytime we wanted or needed them...so it wouldn't be hard for us to replace. And another thing, this is off of topic but I thought it was strange, the butcher said this past month they have gotten alot of cows that have been with calf. The cow that our cervix came from had close to full term twins inside. Are ppl just getting so hard up for money/food that they don't care??

show time":qgo0xfd5 said:
What do you mean preserve it? I don't plan on keeping it for weeks and it is in the fridge now...the butcher shop said they would give "scraps" anytime we wanted or needed them...so it wouldn't be hard for us to replace. And another thing, this is off of topic but I thought it was strange, the butcher said this past month they have gotten alot of cows that have been with calf. The cow that our cervix came from had close to full term twins inside. Are ppl just getting so hard up for money/food that they don't care??

Some just don't know the cattle are pregnant...and probably don't care. Just pick out a big fat one and haul her for the $$$$$..yep times are hard for lots of folks.

show time":36cu16ps said:

In our area a few months back when fat cow prices were very good, most people selling cows, especially if they were large cows, were not spending the money to have them preg checked because they would bring as much or more selling by the lb. as they would as bred cows. I suspect that the same thing is still happening, thus the butchered cows with-calf.

I have to admit I was afraid to open this thread thinking "Man, even I wouldn't eat that!", but this makes sense. I think its great you are learning to AI ~ I would love to know how! As Kenny said, anything you can get that lets you become familiar with healthy parts will be a bonus. I know some areas offer classes in it ~ this is something you moght want to consider. Good Luck!

They had whole tracts when i took my AI training, they would put them in trash bags you would glove up and work the gun threw the cervix and depoist a dyed pellet in the uterious. You can cut it open a get a good look at the rings inside. It will help you to no what it feels like and what your AI gun is bumping around when you try to breed a cow.

Another reason for cows with unborn calves going throught the butcher shop: If they think she's too poor shape to survive calving, for instance if she's old and broken down in the hips, crippling around, perhaps had problems getting up and going after the last calf, and they aren't interested in bottle feeding.

angie":ntk1yzdx said:
I have to admit I was afraid to open this thread thinking "Man, even I wouldn't eat that!", but this makes sense. I think its great you are learning to AI ~ I would love to know how! As Kenny said, anything you can get that lets you become familiar with healthy parts will be a bonus. I know some areas offer classes in it ~ this is something you moght want to consider. Good Luck!
Angrie oops I mean Angie is that all you think about

Eating disgusting things

angie":23wxntqm said:

I'll be sure to send it your way when we are done...start checking your mail next week :lol2: :lol2:

I would love to go to that 5 day school in Kansas, I just feel I can't leave my kids for that long as they are still so young. And truefully I'm half scared to let go off that money...ya never know which way this economy is going to go! Since my dad has all the equipment and he's been doing it for so long, I think he'll be fine for me...but if a family argument is going to happen, it will happen when we are working cattle. It never fails :cry: I can picture it now..the first few times will probably take me too long and he'll be getting nervous, telling me I'm not doing it right, and I'll be hollering at him to shut up, He'll be telling me "just get back, your going to mess it up"! Aww, surely we aren't the only crazy family out there, lol! :lol2: :frowns:

show time":1dimlzno said:
angie":1dimlzno said:

I'll be sure to send it your way when we are done...start checking your mail next week :lol2: :lol2:

I would love to go to that 5 day school in Kansas, I just feel I can't leave my kids for that long as they are still so young. And truefully I'm half scared to let go off that money...ya never know which way this economy is going to go! Since my dad has all the equipment and he's been doing it for so long, I think he'll be fine for me...but if a family argument is going to happen, it will happen when we are working cattle. It never fails :cry: I can picture it now..the first few times will probably take me too long and he'll be getting nervous, telling me I'm not doing it right, and I'll be hollering at him to shut up, He'll be telling me "just get back, your going to mess it up"! Aww, surely we aren't the only crazy family out there, lol! :lol2: :frowns:

If you are using decent semen to breed your cattle the AI course will pay for itself in no time. If you do not know what you are doing and try to AI with even 50 dollar semen and they come back in heat it gets very costly. Not only did you waste semen $$, but the your season is off. Really the best thing is to take a course and practice on their cows..

As for the heavy bred cow with twins, well you have to think of it this way....If you cannot come up with feed for one cow how can you come up with feed for a cow with calves . Times are tough for producers as cattle are worthless and a lot of people still make their livelihood from cattle and do not have off farm jobs.. It is a sad day all around when you are happy to just break even..

hillsdown":37y7z9by said:
If you do not know what you are doing and try to AI with even 50 dollar semen and they come back in heat it gets very costly.

I've rarely used semen more then 25 bucks on my own herd the majority is more in the 16-20 buck range. Used some of that senselessly high priced stuff (200 a unit) for some friends though.

Latest posts