Just for fun, finishing experience level

Help Support CattleToday:

What type of cattle feeder do you consider youself?

• Finishing cattle pays the bills, it's what we do

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • We feed a few every year to sell as freezer beef

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • We raise a couple to eat each year

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • We don't finish cattle

Votes: 13 26.5%

• Total voters
I partnered with an old guy that couldn't keep up his herd of shorthorns. I took the herd of 15 cows and a few heifers home and the first year bred them with what I had, a jersey bull. From those crosses we built a herd of cows that did well in the 4H ring for my girls as bucket calves and then as cow and calf projects. Sold out of cattle in 2013 or 14. Kept raising 6 or so for freezer beef. Now the grandkids are in 4H so we have 10 dairy beef steers and 10 bucket calves year round.

That's interesting you found the fat cows to be better meat. We sent 2 cows last month and all the steaks are extremely tough. Probably going to cook them all in a slow cooker. They were plenty fat and taste good just too tough. We had sent a calf or two in the past and have never had one real tender but never this tough either.
What breeds?

We kill 6 or 8 each year for beef. Had been pushing them to kill at around 16 months, but have started turning them out on grass and killing them around 28 months recently. Pull them up the last 60-90 days and feed a relatively low ration of grain compared to years past. They're finishing better, the portions are nicer and the customers are happy.

Some of my favorite eaters are the heifers that either won't breed, or don't take for their second calf - they'll really pack the fat on with minimal grain.

We kill 6 or 8 each year for beef. Had been pushing them to kill at around 16 months, but have started turning them out on grass and killing them around 28 months recently. Pull them up the last 60-90 days and feed a relatively low ration of grain compared to years past. They're finishing better, the portions are nicer and the customers are happy.

Some of my favorite eaters are the heifers that either won't breed, or don't take for their second calf - they'll really pack the fat on with minimal grain.
First calf heifer stifled. Hardly gave her any grain because she was in bad shape and we needed to get her in for salvage, but her meat was the best by far.

One of the best I've done was a heifer that lost her calf and had to have a cesarean. I was very curious to see how she processed and if there would be ruined meat about six months later, so I attended the slaughter. I couldn't see any difference at all. No scarred muscle or anything that would have been an indicator of surgery. She was a very easy keeper so I only supplemented with grain on pasture for a month and she had a perfect fat cover.

Question to the forum... I bought a crippled calf and sent it to slaughter. 500 pounds and dressed out 338, so it was a good one. Fat cover but not very thick. This is a calf, so would have to be considered veal. I've never processed one this age so have no experience in doing a veal calf.

Everything I've read says veal should only be hung for 10/11 days.

What are your thoughts on hanging time? Any issues with hanging one for longer? What's the maximum you would hang one? Anything else I should know?

Question to the forum... I bought a crippled calf and sent it to slaughter. 500 pounds and dressed out 338, so it was a good one. Fat cover but not very thick. This is a calf, so would have to be considered veal. I've never processed one this age so have no experience in doing a veal calf.

What are your thoughts on hanging time? Any issues with hanging one for longer? What's the maximum you would hang one? Anything else I should know?
I think it all depends on the fat cover of the carcass. Most tenderization occurs in the first 7 days. After that, it is more concentration of flavor.

I would think that 10/11day mark would be fine.
Not 100% sure but I think 500lbs is to big to be considered veal. Veal is 30-45days all liquid diet.
Yours would be more like baby beef.

I would think that 10/11day mark would be fine.
Not 100% sure but I think 500lbs is to big to be considered veal. Veal is 30-45days all liquid diet.
Yours would be more like baby beef.
Yeah, I thought that too as I've always heard veal was kept inside and only fed milk. But I've recently learned there are different kinds of veal. Veal is anything less than a year old and less than 800 pounds according to some people.

I don't really care other than wanting meat that tastes decent.

Latest posts