Just for CB (lots of pics!!)

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
I snapped a few this weekend of a few new babies and the pair I bought back in December. I wasn't going to post them, but now that I know that it bugs the tar out of ol' Burno, I've decided to post them all. :lol:

The pair I got from Jim Reed back in December:

64R.jpg

22N.jpg

My favorite gal. Don't tell anybody, but she likes it when I pet her. ;-)

LimitedEdi.jpg

Chunky Monkey:

FallHeifer.jpg

Dinner is served:

Baby2.jpg

Stop interupting my lunch!!

Baby1.jpg

What's your problem?

Baby4.jpg

sidney411":2lmlxbx4 said:
Nice Tractor, and oh yeah, nice calves and cows. What is the breeding on Chunky Monkey?

What a great looking butterball! How old is that "Chunky Monkey" calf?

Thanks Sid. I guess I should clarify that anything not hereford is my dad's and brother's cattle. The tractor (6215) is also my brothers, new last fall. The cows are anywhere from 1/2 angus to 7/8 angus with the rest of the percentage being fleckvieh. Hence, the grays.

Chunkey monkey is an October calf that can find her way to the creep feeder with a blindfold on. She is out of one of the gray 1/2 fleck, 1/2 angus cows, and an angus bull. I'd guess her to weigh near 450 in this pic.

All of the babies are out of our newest Black Simme bull. They've been coming without problems so far (knock on wood) but they have been plenty big, anywhere from 85 to 102lbs so far.

Great photos! Thanks for sharing them.
My favorite is #36 - a great looking cow.

wow do i ever like the 3 first pictures where did you get them from?

ps. i just posted a couple of pictures myself just because i know it is going to bug a serten person :lol: :lol:

~

Nice cow family.

Love those reds.

Did you breed your 1st calf heifers to the Simm bull too ?

Do you get alot of the mouse colored calves ?
Do they bring as much as the black or yellows where you are ?

Many twins ?

Thanks for those great photos.

Keep em coming.

Caustic Burno":1kwr3j0h said:
Pic's really don't bother me as bad as how P poor some of the stock and set up's you have and think it's good. Plus 4 pictures of cows won't take long.

Come again? You lost me. "How P poor some of the stock and set up's you have and think it's good" Care to elaborate on that? Also, there should have been 7 pics, maybe your pc didn't load them all.

CowCop":1r9z49ac said:
~

Nice cow family.

Love those reds.

Did you breed your 1st calf heifers to the Simm bull too ?

Do you get alot of the mouse colored calves ?
Do they bring as much as the black or yellows where you are ?

Many twins ?

Thanks for those great photos.

Keep em coming.

Thanks for the comments Cowcop. I didn't breed any of my heifers to the sire of the calves in the pic. My brother also bought a black simme last January. My 2 hereford heifers that I couldn't get to settle AI are bred to him. He is a GW Lucky Charm 665K son. My brother also bred his 4 Angus x Simme heifers to the 665K son. They are due this week.

The 90 and 100 lb calves haven't been a concern just yet, because the cows having these calves are the ones that in previous yrs have had 90-100 lb calves out of an Angus bull who otherwise threw birthweights in the upper 70's to low 80's. Plus, these calves seem to have the right shape (small head and streamlined shoulders) to come fairly easily.

We do get about 5-6 mousy calves each yr, but only from the mousy colored cows. They do take a 5-8 cent hit at sale time, but they seem to grow like heck (see Chunky Monkey). Nonetheless, we are in the process of culling the mousy colored cows.

We haven't had many twins. Maybe on average a set every other or third year. That is from 70-75 cows.

~

I had one mousy colored calf last year, and she outgrew most of the other calves as well.

Until her, I had never had a mousy calf. I read all the negative stuff about them and expected it would happen to her, but it didn't.
She made me some nice pocket money and I hope I have at least one or 2 more this year if they all grow like her~!!

I wonder if others have experienced the same growth factor on their mousy colored Simm heifers. It does seem unusual, considering all the negative stuff we hear about it.

Gotta love those Simmentals. They are gentle, are FABULOUS moms, have longevity, monster milkers, are easy to handle and are nice to look at.
Better yet are the SimmAngus. I kept 2 heifers from last years SimmAngus calves and they are significantly better than the Herf/Angus heifer calves.

I really enjoyed your photos.

Its always a nice surprise to see photos of working Simmentals on the boards.

El_Putzo":x1919s1l said:
Caustic Burno":x1919s1l said:
Pic's really don't bother me as bad as how P poor some of the stock and set up's you have and think it's good. Plus 4 pictures of cows won't take long.

Come again? You lost me. "How P poor some of the stock and set up's you have and think it's good" Care to elaborate on that? Also, there should have been 7 pics, maybe your pc didn't load them all.
Please don't get this started. It's rather immature to post pictures simply because you think it will piss someone off. Please, let's act like the mature cattlemen and women we all are...or should be.