Just Curious (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Just wondering about this "mohawk" left on the tail head. I've never seeen it done before.
Has anyone else?
fair020.jpg

I've seen it often enough before, still think it looks ridiculous. Go to www.bullbarn.com and you'll see many clubby type bulls fitted like that. The job done there is usually just far superior to the photo you've posted. When a heifer (I assume) is as weak topped as the one in your photo the upright hair on the tailhead accentuates the problem in my eyes.

Knersie it was done on a 4-H steer. I just couldn't figure out why they would leave that hair there making that animal look like he wasn't completely clipped.
Thank you for the answer. :tiphat:

I often do it on heifers because it accentuates their over all tail set and looks good especially in feminine heifers but... I do it better than that. :lol2: That doesn't look to have a purpose at all. I suppose clubby tail sets are normally high so you don't really need to accentuate them more...

I see it all the time in my area, its just kind of "the thing". However, it's usually much cleaner and looks more professional than that one. They usually put adhesive or something in it to straighten it out and keep it all smoothly together.

I'd say that's unfinished. When I clip animal's I always leave that til last and a lot of people won't do it until they're fitting at the show.
Looks very extreme, doesn't imporve the animal at all.

I luv herfrds,

That tailhead was probably down by some with a little less experience than say the major hired fitters. I bet the hair (being curly) wasn't helping either. I think alot of people will bull the tailhead hair up to help level, or add the appearance of a level hip. In the show ring it can become a pretty big deal, plus I know of many club calf producers that actually appreciate the tail head setting of this bull. In their own words it as style, eye appeal, etc etc.

okie_dokie1.gif

CPL":1ulj1gwb said:
I luv herfrds,

That tailhead was probably down by some with a little less experience than say the major hired fitters. I bet the hair (being curly) wasn't helping either. I think alot of people will bull the tailhead hair up to help level, or add the appearance of a level hip. In the show ring it can become a pretty big deal, plus I know of many club calf producers that actually appreciate the tail head setting of this bull. In their own words it as style, eye appeal, etc etc.

okie_dokie1.gif

I think it looks stupid and makes the calf looked swayed back. He has a weak top already this just makes it look worse

CPL":24jausk8 said:
I luv herfrds,

okie_dokie1.gif
It looks like a sheep. :lol: :lol: :lol:

FarmGirl10":1x6dko3n said:
CPL":1x6dko3n said:
I luv herfrds,

okie_dokie1.gif
It looks like a sheep. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's probably what it is under all that hair. :lol2:

I don't know about everyone else but I have found a market for cattle hair.

Jovid":il00wjw2 said:
CPL":il00wjw2 said:
I luv herfrds,

okie_dokie1.gif

I think it looks stupid and makes the calf looked swayed back. He has a weak top already this just makes it look worse

That is a common statement from someone who doesn't know jack about showing a club calf.

Cowboy 2.0":3oznq3hs said:
Jovid":3oznq3hs said:
CPL":3oznq3hs said:
I luv herfrds,

okie_dokie1.gif

That is a common statement from someone who doesn't know jack about showing a club calf.

you know this how?

CPL":uw0m94li said:
I luv herfrds,

okie_dokie1.gif
Around here, the tailheads aren't usually that high. The fitters use the tailhead to make the animals look like their backs are straighter and, especially on heifers, make them look longer from hooks to pins and add eye appeal.

Latest posts