Just curious -- How many veterinarians . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's a vet story for ya'll.

I took my wife's Pomerainian to have it put to sleep a few weeks ago. Had an apppoinment but the vet kept me waiting for 30 min.(cuz MY time has no value as opposed to his time which is worh millions a minute) After a while they showed me into one of the exam rooms and I was in there trying to keep the little guy quiet and to not be too scared cuz he hated the vets office...and to tell the truth feeling pretty shytty about the whole deal.

While I was waiting they came in and handed me a bill for the euthanasia. I said he ain't dead yet. She says well we like to be paid in advance since some folks are just too broke up to pay afterwards.

I told her I had hired them to kill a dog for me and wasn't paying until he was dead..................things kinda went downhill after that. :mad:

After 30 years with that clinic I am so sick of their moneygrubbing bullshyt I am changing Vets.

BTW this is the same vet who : when my buddy called him out to the ranch a few years ago to help him with a cow that was paralized after a hard delivery charged him for a second ranch call when he asked the vet to please stop by his folks house on the way out(75yds away) and give their cat it's shots as they couldn't get it into the clinic without it killing everyone.

A bit of a similar story for me, 3 Way. I had a horse that went though 5 strands of barbed wire. I found him with complete blood on all four legs. His canvas rug saved him higher.

The legs were just minor, but coming back in he managed to break a wooden post with his knee. So I doctored him.

The vet was called out to preg test our cow herd which she did. As we were walking back to the house we walked past the horse and I just asked if she thought his knee looked okay. To which she said to answer that question she would have to charge me an extra call out fee.

This is a woman who is not only our vet but also a member of the same pony club as us. I told her to forget it.

The knee healed without a scar..... so did the legs.

I guess we're lucky as we have an excellent SA vet that takes care of my wife's dogs. The times we've had to put one down they were quick and compassionate and even sent a sympathy card afterwards. She'll even meet my wife at the clinic after hours in an emergency and not charge extra. We haven't had to ask her to come out to the house yet but I bet she'd do that too if necessary. We have two SA vets within 6 blocks of us but we go to one 20 miles away and it's well worth it.

I guess the bottom line is that some are in it for the money and some truly enjoy helping people and their animals.

Suzie Q":27zrgk6a said:
A bit of a similar story for me, 3 Way. I had a horse that went though 5 strands of barbed wire. I found him with complete blood on all four legs. His canvas rug saved him higher.

The legs were just minor, but coming back in he managed to break a wooden post with his knee. So I doctored him.

The vet was called out to preg test our cow herd which she did. As we were walking back to the house we walked past the horse and I just asked if she thought his knee looked okay. To which she said to answer that question she would have to charge me an extra call out fee.

This is a woman who is not only our vet but also a member of the same pony club as us.
I told her to forget it.The knee healed without a scar..... so did the legs.

Good for you. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sounds like an attitude adjustment is needed. If a few more would do the same it might do her a lot of good.

3waycross":1fq53arq said:

I took my wife's Pomerainian to have it put to sleep a few weeks ago. Had an apppoinment but the vet kept me waiting for 30 min.(cuz MY time has no value as opposed to his time which is worh millions a minute) After a while they showed me into one of the exam rooms and I was in there trying to keep the little guy quiet and to not be too scared cuz he hated the vets office...and to tell the truth feeling pretty shytty about the whole deal.

While I was waiting they came in and handed me a bill for the euthanasia. I said he ain't dead yet. She says well we like to be paid in advance since some folks are just too broke up to pay afterwards.

I told her I had hired them to kill a dog for me and wasn't paying until he was dead..................things kinda went downhill after that. :mad:

After 30 years with that clinic I am so sick of their moneygrubbing bullshyt I am changing Vets.

BTW this is the same vet who : when my buddy called him out to the ranch a few years ago to help him with a cow that was paralized after a hard delivery charged him for a second ranch call when he asked the vet to please stop by his folks house on the way out(75yds away) and give their cat it's shots as they couldn't get it into the clinic without it killing everyone.

I forgot the best part of the story. My son was engaged to this Vets daughter for a bit. She gave him the Pom which ended up costing me a couple of thousand in vet bills before it was all said and done. and also the reason he became such a money grubber was he left his wife of 25yrs and ran off with a girl younger than his dtr. Now he has lost his ranch and house in town and we all have to pay for it.

3waycross":1j1mkw4t said:
3waycross":1j1mkw4t said:

I forgot the best part of the story. My son was engaged to this Vets daughter for a bit. She gave him the Pom which ended up costing me a couple of thousand in vet bills before it was all said and done. and also the reason he became such a money grubber was he left his wife of 25yrs and ran off with a girl younger than his dtr. Now he has lost his ranch and house in town and we all have to pay for it.
I was lucky, my middle aged crazy event was my wife and still is 40 years later!

Nothing is more damaging to your bottom line, than a incompetent veterinarian. The few we have here are for the most part just vacationing.

alohacattle":2oq582c2 said:
Nothing is more damaging to your bottom line, than a incompetent veterinarian. The few we have here are for the most part just vacationing.

:( Don't know much about cattle ranching in Hawaii, except that the King Ranch does or did have an operation over there. What island is that?

Kathie in Thorp":8ewavq5a said:
alohacattle":8ewavq5a said:

:( Don't know much about cattle ranching in Hawaii, except that the King Ranch does or did have an operation over there. What island is that?
Never heard of it. Parker is on Hawaii.

inbredredneck":1zxjopdh said:
Kathie in Thorp":1zxjopdh said:
alohacattle":1zxjopdh said:

Never heard of it. Parker is on Hawaii.
@ inbredredneck
To be more specific Parker Ranch is on what we call the big island, all the islands are considered to be part of the Hawaiian State.

Don't remember if King Ranch did or not, but there was a big Santa Gertrudis ranch out there at one point. I remember a few years back they were selling a huge amount of semen from years ago.

hillsdown":1d0tiu1e said:
LazyARanch":1d0tiu1e said:
Dang... and here I thought it was gonna end "does it take to change a lightbulb?"

:banana: :lol:

None, as their brilliance lights up a room . :D This is referring to the really good LA vets ,that truly are a blessing to have .. :tiphat:

After dealing with SmallAnimal vets with Niks latest injury while our real vet is away ,I have come to the conclusion that all they learn in vet school is how to spay ,neuter and give needles .. :mad: I think they major in business and minor in medicine as they sure as h@ll know how to mark up costs 1000% .. :bang:

The last time I took a dog to the vet ....
they made the mistake of putting me in the treatment room where the vets Bachelors degree was hung on the wall....It was in business administration.....
they came in and looked at the dog and came back five minutes later with and estimate for several options of treatment each costing thousands of dollars......
Not having thousands of dollars I determined to let the dog live with me as long as she was comfortable.
three years later the dog is as sound as she was that day and has had no painful biopsies or surgeries.
that vet was running a business and not a vet practice.
I keep my dogs on heartworm preventative and they want me to have the dogs tested for heartworms before they will resell me another supply....I ask em if they are selling me stuff that is not good?
if they answer no....... then I tell them..... if it works why whould I have to spend fifity bucks a dog for another test?they give me a lot of guff but usually end up selling me the stuff.

Few years back I had taken my dog to be neutered, when they called to let me know I could pick him up I advised that I was in need of some banamine as I was running low. After loading the dog in the truck went back in to pay and get the banamine the vet( who I have known and used for years is quite aware that I do most of my own vetting and have been getting banamine from for quite some time) comes out and proceeds to give the whole speech about how to dose and for how long blah, blah, blah. He rambled for about 25 minutes while I stood there nodding in agreement, finally he leaves and the receptionist hands me the bill, which now includes a fee of $75 for a 1/2 hour "consultation". I was outraged..I never asked to see him or have any questions he took it upon himself to carry on like I'd never given a shot before. :bs: Needless to say I did not pay the charge and EVERYONE in the building was aware of how I felt about wasting my time and then charging me for it. I have since found a different vet!

Kathie in Thorp":51ndtlm5 said:
highgrit":51ndtlm5 said:
Sure glad our vet is a good teacher. He tells us what, when and how to do most things. Answers all our questions and even calls us back.
You've got a keeper!
and probably a broke one,, truth is the mojority of cattlemen will starve a vet to death.. or make him charge you extra, for the facilities you dont have

We have a great vet, for that i am glad. When she comes to test the bulls in the spring, she vaccinates the dogs and cats. When she preg tested this past week, treated the dog for a problem. No extra farm call. When she bills, she bills for the trip, preg testing and treating a small animal....cause that is what she did.
She is fair on her drug costs, she does not charge for phone call visits, and she is good on advice. She is also tough when she needs to be.

She is a keeper vet

alohacattle - at first I thought you were saying that most of the vets on CT were just vacationing - but I see you're talking about Hawai'i. But, that said, I am sort of vacationing, and love it. I can absolutely identify with djinwa's experiences.

There's been a lot written, lately, about there not being enough food animal vets, but I'm not convinced that it's actually the case - AlaCowman made very astute statement about cattlemen starving a good vet to death.
IMO, 'underserved' areas are often 'underserved' for a reason - there's not enough work to keep a veterinarian gainfully employed and allow them to make a reasonable living. Sure, you may need me to come pull a calf that you can't get out - once every five years - but if that's the only time I see you, I'm not able to help you much, and you're sure not helping me make a go of it...
One of my colleagues has opined on more than one occasion that "There's not a shortage of large animal vets Monday through Thursday - it's just on Friday and Saturday nights."(and I'll add Sunday). I think she's right.

The American Association of Bovine Practitioners has actually done an in-depth review and their take on the 'perceived' shortage of rural/food animal veterinarians is that there is not a widespread 'shortage'.
http://www.aabp.org/resources/pdfs/Summ ... .19.11.pdf

Now, I'm getting on my soapbox. Not whining, no longer bitter, just stating some facts.

I was lucky enough to get through veterinary school debt-free - I lived at home with my parents all the way through college and vet school and worked one or more jobs while doing it , but I married $20K of vet school loan debt the next day - which we paid off in 10 years.
The average vet student graduating today has over $140K in school loans just associated with attending veterinary school(I know some that will graduate owing well over $200K), and some are carrying loan debt from their undergrad studies as well. I don't see how they can ever repay that and still make a decent living. Who told them that was a wise, workable decision? Even at $140K, if they had that on a 30-yr repayment plan, the monthly loan payment would be $1000/month.

Some states have instituted 'incentive' or 'loan repayment' plans for new graduates, if they'll go to an 'underserved' area and do food animal practice. OK, what if they go there, and there's not enough work and income to sustain them? What then? They leave when their term of indentured servitude is up, or go bankrupt, and the area is still 'underserved'.

Graduating and having DVM behind your name doesn't immediately convey great wealth, though some people seem to think so.
Folks complaining about cost of veterinary care never seem to think about - in addition to loan debt - what it cost that veterinarian to purchase a lot, build the clinic, outfit the surgery, laboratory, kennels, working pens, purchase and maintain drug/instrument inventories or practice vehicle, pay the utility bills, pay insurance premiums, employ and pay the staff, etc. - all before the veterinarian ever takes home a penny. They're a small business person with significant costs of operation. Veterinarians are just like everyone else - we'd like to have a decent house, a nice car, raise a family, take a vacation every now and then... Yeah, we know you 'love' your animals, and that's the reason many of us were drawn to the profession...but you gotta be able to make a living.

Previous generations of veterinarians shot mine and later generations in the foot, so to speak, by tying their income to 'markup' on drugs, rather than charging appropriately for their knowledge and expertise. MDs have been doing that forever - but since most folks' insurance policies pick up that tab, people don't seem to get - and stay - all enraged about consultation fees, etc. Seems to draw more ire, directed at that 'money-grubbing vet', if you have to pay the whole tab out of your own pocket.

We got, and I suspect current vet students still get...almost ZERO instruction in business management or economics. The guy with an undergrad degree in Business Management is an anomaly - but probably doing a better job with the 'business' aspect of practice than 95% of our colleagues.

Whether there is a shortage or increasing need for more veterinarians is still up in the air. Most of my colleagues say, emphatically, "NO!". But several of the colleges of veterinary medicine around the country are increasing class size (more tuition $$ flowing in!!!), and there have been a few new vet schools opened in the last few years, and some more in the works.

OK, stepping off the soapbox now. I've probably ticked some folks off, but I've said my piece.

I have to give kudos to our vets. My daughter had a heifer calf that got with the bull too soon and ended up being a mess. I was in constant consultation with the jr partner and even brought the heifer in with another bunch for a free examination. I was very greatful.
The sr partner and his wife are fantastic people who help with our community. They are together VERY supportive of our FFA even though their children are now in college. I have many times consulted with them on the phone/at their office/at our place and have NEVER been charged a consultation fee. They are very focused on helping us treat our animals and make money if we can.

Latest posts