JUST AI'D 10 COWS...WOW!

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1

Reaction score
Timed AI and am pretty much amazed at the whole process from storing semen to insemination and everything in between.
Thought about it for a couple of years and circumstances allowed so I bit the bullet.
Maybe I'm easily impressed, but to me, only having read about it up to now, it was amazing and exciting.
If any of them actually caught I'm gonna be darn near beside myself. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Congratulations! I always get a great sense of pride knowing I had a hand in a particular mating, no pun intended.

Sizmic

Thanks Kathie.
Sizmic, I guess that's a pretty good description of how I feel now even though all I did was catch'em and hold'em while my buddy did the business part.
Choosing who got what was a real study for me but the possibilities AI presents was something I had only mildly considered until we actually did it. And that's probably what's got me all cranked up now.
Got into it for not much more than what I sold my bull for in the fall and now I've got a wide bull pen in a can not tearing up anything and only eating about $45.00 in LN every 3-4 mos.
I know there's pitfalls ahead but it feels pretty good right now.

cmf1 -- Am going through the same angst here right now -- this bull? that bull? what bull? which bull? There are many nice ones out there. And it will probably be end-June before we get 'er done here.

We are setting up 45 cows tomorrow afternoon with CIDRs. This will be our first time using CIDRs for the Select Sync method. And 45 will be the most I've ever done at one time by myself. Looks like next Friday will be busy. But I still share your thoughts on the excitement of improving your herd. We'll turn the bull 2 weeks after the AI date, then preg check about 30days after the AI date to see who caught. I'm hoping for big numbers.

cmf1":x9nxmjwl said:
Timed AI and am pretty much amazed at the whole process from storing semen to insemination and everything in between.
Thought about it for a couple of years and circumstances allowed so I bit the bullet.
Maybe I'm easily impressed, but to me, only having read about it up to now, it was amazing and exciting.
If any of them actually caught I'm gonna be darn near beside myself. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Just wait 'till those calves start hitting the ground! You'll be one proud man :nod:

Wishing you the best on conception rates! We are breeding heifers on Thursday then a group of cows on the 24th. :banana:

The two heifers and one 4 year old came in like clockwork off the cidrs at 60 hours and we bred them on friday evening. The other 7 were standing saturday morning and we bred them at 72 hours.
That's the first time i've seen the estrotec tags in practice too. On my cows they looked like brake lights.
Bring em back up to the front pasture on the 30th and hopefully not too many riding and standing.

We are breeding June 2nd. Have 6 heifers and 9 cows to breed. Got a buddy coming up to help since my conception rates haven't been where I have wanted the last couple of years. When I get one to stick though, the mating is usually a good one.

Good luck to all of you, and hope for high conception and excellent calves next spring.

Just had two of my gerts ai'd yesterday to hatchet. It is exciting. I hope just one of mine settles.

Hope you have good success rates! Just wait until the calves come. :banana: Our first AI calf that was born was pretty special. The first one that I had AI'd myself - I was ready to pass out the cigars. :lol2: