Just A Thought

Help Support CattleToday:

mikegahr

Reaction score
I been doing some thinking, instead of selling your cattle due to the drought would u consider send them out of state to winter. I'm in Arkansas and my have access to a lot of corn and milo fields to run them on, I would take of their hay and put out mollase tanks, all i would ask for would be a % of the calf crop. I don't know if would be fessiable to u or not i was thinking keeping them till the first of march. If anybody has any opinion on this fell free to tell me, like i said this just a thought, don't know it will work or not.

As slim as the profit margin is I would think that the trucking would pretty well suck up any value that might be added.

dun":1zq8cfu1 said:
As slim as the profit margin is I would think that the trucking would pretty well suck up any value that might be added.
Especially if it takes 500-600 miles to get to the edge of a drought area that already is overstocked from producers hauling only 50 - 100 miles....

So "Let them eat cake"........

There might be someone who wants to save their genetics. It seems like replacements are going to really be in demand next year and maybe even the year after.

Future money to be made is in replacement heifers once this ends. I think across the board beef prices will hold at the barns until it comes time to restock. Then I think prices will skyrocket because most being sold now is going to feeders and slaughter. Hard to buy em back when they're in plastic

Latest posts