Just A Thought

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Kathy and I took my truck in for repair this morning. On the way home we stopped at the local country market. Kathy told me that the market owner and several of the locals were having a conversation about the economy. They were all worried as are we. We are retired seniors that have both worked hard, been honest, saved so that if we lived to be old we would never be a financial burden on our children. We have watched our Government give our hard earned tax dollars to countries that hate out guts, and bailed out financial instutions that have robbed us through greed. With that in mind, do any of you think out Government will bail me out if I mortgage my farm and pi$$ off the money and ask them to save me. Again, just a thought? Tom :???: :???: :???: :???:

kerley":3rff22vt said:
Kathy and I took my truck in for repair this morning. On the way home we stopped at the local country market. Kathy told me that the market owner and several of the locals were having a conversation about the economy. They were all worried as are we. We are retired seniors that have both worked hard, been honest, saved so that if we lived to be old we would never be a financial burden on our children. We have watched our Government give our hard earned tax dollars to countries that hate out guts, and bailed out financial instutions that have robbed us through greed. With that in mind, do any of you think out Government will bail me out if I mortgage my farm and pi$$ off the money and ask them to save me. Again, just a thought? Tom :???: :???: :???: :???:
why sht naw.. you'd be living under a bridge, before the year was out. and some transplant would be taking up residence in your ex estate :nod:

kerley":3ej3co93 said:

Depends on whether you have a "corn, wheat, cotton base" or not.
That's a smartass answer, I don't mean to belittle your question, because we are all concerned.
Having been through the ag depression of the early 80's, with scars to show, I am a wee bit nervous. That ag depression occurred while the rest of the economy boomed.
Today, we could see the ag economy and the general economy tank at the same time. I hope not, and I think not but the fortune cookie ain't promising.
Grain markets are headed lower, at the same pace as oil. That is going to mean a world of hurt for folks who have most of $5/bu of corn invested.
Cattle feeders, (my customers) are staggering already. They may benefit from <<cheap>> $5 corn. But a fat steer still needs to bring a lot more money than he does today. And a credit crunch may be the straw which breaks a lot of them.
Is there going to be a "black Friday" moment here. Or is this just going to dribble out a little at a time.
In the 80's, Jimmy Carter's soybean embargo was the trigger. Don't get me started.
I mostly fear something like Richard Nixon's price controls on beef. That collapsed the cattle business for several years.
I'm a lot happier with my position now than I was then. But I have learned that when the neighbors have financial trouble, it soon spreads.

I really hate to say it as I'm almost always an Optimist, but I don't think we've seen anything yet. Hope I'm wrong.I deal with a lot of big Guns, and all of them are pretty nervous and worried.

Crowderfarms":3ulyvdbc said:
I really hate to say it as I'm almost always an Optimist, but I don't think we've seen anything yet. Hope I'm wrong.I deal with a lot of big Guns, and all of them are pretty nervous and worried.

Me too. I'm as nervous as a two-tailed cat in a rocking chair factory. Only thing that is keeping my business afloat right now is momentum from the years I've busted my tail and built the business. I feel it slowing though and I don't know how long it will coast before things get bad.

Keep on, keeping on.

I guess I'm an optimist like crodwer. Soiltests for my oats came back, recommended 150# of 35-15-0 an acre.
Normaly put out 300# of 30-10-10. Turns out oats is only $1.50 a hundred more than last year so final cost for seed and fertilizer is going to run about $90 and acre instead of the anticipated $125 - $150. Took about half of that savings and spent yesterday and today pasture drilling clover and oats into 55 acres of pasture. Sure hope it rains. Did it even if it has only rained 4 1/2 inches in the last 4 months. Can't say I didn't try. Smart maybe not, but I tried.

Nervous, you bet since I have a real knack for buying high and selling low.

I luv herfrds":m60zau84 said:
Yes we are worried too. Been talking about what to do with the money we have in the banks.

Money in the banks? What's that?

It's been tight on us the past several years. We had 4 kids in college at one time that strapped us to the max. Still have 2 left in school and still struggle every day to pay the bills.

If it was not for the wife & kids, I would be ready to go live under the bridge for free too.....

grannysoo":oe8rbl48 said:
I luv herfrds":oe8rbl48 said:
Yes we are worried too. Been talking about what to do with the money we have in the banks.

Money in the banks? What's that?

It's been tight on us the past several years. We had 4 kids in college at one time that strapped us to the max. Still have 2 left in school and still struggle every day to pay the bills.

If it was not for the wife & kids, I would be ready to go live under the bridge for free too.....

I'm glad you didn't mention Ted Kaczynski's tarpaper shack cause I got first dibs on it. Don't reckon he'll need it for a while.

Latest posts