Just a thought!?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky P, I'll make sure to post pics of next years calf crop. Glad I'm not the only one with the mix of colors. Have 2 yellow calves and a silver calf this year also.

My bull came from just outside of Harrisonburg VA, so not that far from SC. Was a 5 hour one way trip to get him. But from the looks of him, it was worth it.

I haven't really put much thought into AIing them. Really just don't know enough about the process I guess and just assumed it would be pretty costly honestly. But definitely something to think about and do some research on!

My inlaws have alot of brahma influence in their cows and run some hereford and some braford bulls (much larger operation than myself) and I do really like the ear their cows carry and overall look of them BUT......

Ive also had the not so pleasant first hand experience in tight quarters with them and they don't play well with others (me!) So while I do absolutely see obvious pros to brahma influence I usually work with my cows alone or with my wife and I really put ALOT of focus on keeping docility and ease of handling in my few cows! But in a way the thought of AIing calm easing going mamas to brahma or f1 brahma cross bulls could very possibly be the way to go since the calves I would think would be level headed having only being with calm level headed cows!????
There are wild and docile cattle in every breed. 99% of behaviors comes from enviroment....how they are handled... vs genetics. The meanest cow I ever fooled with was a Jeresy, and the meanest bull was a horned Hereford. He was so bad, no one tried to get into his pasture that held a hell of a fish pond! The gentlest bull I ever saw, was a Brahma a neighbor kid had. He could walk out into the pasture, and sit on him while he was laying down. He could take hold of an ear, or put his hand under the bull's chin, and lead him anywhere. That's how he got his cows up...go get the bull and the cows would follow. My friend growing up had an angus bull , that about 3 or 4 of us boys could get on his back, and he'd walk us all over the pasture. Cows? The gentlest I had was a red Brahma that would come running anytime I went in her pasture. She'd follow me around if I was fixing fence,, couldn't work for her trying to get her nose on everything I did. 1st time she calved, she brought the calf up with her to see me...almost like she was trying to show me her new calf. As a whole, for many years I kept Corriente, Longhorn, and crosses of these, ro raise roping steers. I could ride right up to new born calves, get off the horse and work them, and the mommas never paid me no mind. If the calf was a few days old, and I had to heel it, they still never bothered me while I roped and worked their calves.

Don;t see that it would make any difference in the disposition of cattle, whether you AI'ed them or live covered them. With live cover, a calf would never be around a bull except for the 45 days or so the bulls would be with their mommas.

Lucky-P, No it was Harvester Farms in Orange VA. Bethany Seal was the lady's name. But I was looking at Mystic Hill sale also.

The best bull to breed those black baldies to, to get the best replacement heifers....either for you to retain or for you to sell...and to get top dollar for your steers, would be Brangus.

I think this would be an excellent cross.

If you are fond of red, then get a Braford

I think a Red Brangus would work great.

Some of this springs Braunveigh calves. No brindles so far but a variety of brown,tan and black. And the prettiest little silver heifer...

Attachments

• braunv.jpg
    braunv.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 5
  • braunv1.jpg
    braunv1.jpg
    630.3 KB · Views: 5
  • braunv2.jpg
    braunv2.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 6
  • braunv3.jpg
    braunv3.jpg