Just a ''sale barn junker''

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
bought some young wet bag turn-out cows to breed and run till fall then sale. This black cow was a 4yr old that was poor, and no she does not have Jones she had hollow belly, paid less than 500.00, would have to look I think it was around 460.00 for her 4 weeks ago gave her shots and wormed then turned her out today she brought up a nice bull calf.

was going to post a picture of her but seems I cant post picks anymore

Bought a good cow/bull calf pair bull weigh about 300# cow solid 1000# for $1025 last year weaned steer and the cow walked up with another bull calf. Love suprises.

ALACOWMAN":av42qit1 said:
Wish my cows brought their calves up.. Always gotta go looking for em..
I don't spend a lot looking for them, I figure its either dead or alive if its dead then no need for me to find it the coyotes will take care of it, if its alive she will bring it up when time. Most of the cows I have, have been there and done it , they know more about raising calves than I do. Now heifers and cows I don't know I treat them a lot different, this cow would not have went to the farm if I had known she was that close to calving. She would have stayed close to home where they get checked more than once every 7 - 10 days

kenny thomas":ad8no687 said:
I buy a few really nice cows but buy a lot of junkers. Guess which one makes the most money.
Sounds like you did real good
when you buy at the top, best, they can only go down, buy the low end they go up if you know what to look for.

BRYANT":gzwz8f5n said:
kenny thomas":gzwz8f5n said:
I buy a few really nice cows but buy a lot of junkers. Guess which one makes the most money.
Sounds like you did real good
when you buy at the top, best, they can only go down, buy the low end they go up if you know what to look for.

I've been lucky with a few. Diamonds in the rough. I've also experienced some polished turds that were hard to break even on. When you buy at the top, you also have expectations.

We're going to send a few to the sale.. One wont stay in the fence, one did not mother her calf despite working with her for weeks.. One doesn't make enough milk, wanted to sell her last year but was overruled..Couple have large teats and aint nobody got time for dat... Theres a couple more, all will give you a calf, I have better things to do.....lol

There is all kinds of sales in Okla. some offer a bunch of trader/farmer junk others you can pick up some good cattle to take back home. I got a mot. face Brahman cross cow at the farm that was a 6 month breed by 7 yr. old and a little on the wild side when I bought her. I was going to raise 1 calf and ship her, got her for 735.00, but she raised a nice calf so I thought why not raise a second one with her. Well this years calf will be number 6 or 7 that she has raised here on my place, would have to go check the records, she is now gentle as a dog, breeds back within a 45 days time, easy keeper, with a nice udder. Just another one of them no problem ''sale barn junkers''. I like them that's where I have made more money than any other cows. She even came from one of them sale with a lot of them '' trader/farmer culls'' just got to know what to look for , it's not for everyone but there is money to be made if you know what to look for.
Really is probably better for most people not to try it.