just a question

Help Support CattleToday:

theres 3 breeds in that mix,, but to get the most heterosis from a 3 way cross like that the cow needs to be a F1. thats what maximizes it... although the brangus moma will work great

ALACOWMAN":3urroxz8 said:
theres 3 breeds in that mix,, but to get the most heterosis from a 3 way cross like that the cow needs to be a F1. thats what maximizes it... although the brangus moma will work great
the result of cross a brangus cow to braford bull will be an F1. TANKS

jaimefloresh":2rxmbv24 said:
ALACOWMAN":2rxmbv24 said:
the result of cross a brangus cow to braford bull will be an F1. TANKS
nope you got brahman on both sides..... a angus bred to hereford is a F1, meaning the """first cross"" of two different breed's

At what point is a Brangus/braford/etc. considered a crossbreed or not a crossbreed for crossbreeding purposes?

Busterz":3oksojia said:
At what point is a Brangus/braford/etc. considered a crossbreed or not a crossbreed for crossbreeding purposes?
some consider them a crossbred at any percentage,,, but i look toward the purebred 3/8 5/8 as the brangus breed,, same with braford

ALACOWMAN":uq7dto46 said:
Busterz":uq7dto46 said:
some consider them a crossbred at any percentage,,, but i look toward the purebred 3/8 5/8 as the brangus breed,, same with braford

To us as a reference point we consider crossbreds as animals that are not registered or with unknown parentage. Another definition of crossbred is when 2 or more different breeds of animals are mated.

But with the Composite Beef Cattle Registry, the percentage of breed can be what a breeders is happy with. If he wants to have animals with 50% Angus and 50% Brahman, that is fine.

The
jaimefloresh":uq7dto46 said:
it is considered a 3 way cross, bred a brangus cow to a charolais bull ?

The answer to this question is still yes. The Brangus cow, is still a Composite/hybrid animal with 46.9% hybrid vigor, even if there are several generations of straight Brangus breeding.

Look on page 2 of the following link. http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/PDF/FSA-3057.pdf

ALACOWMAN":1aw5vffc said:
most ranchers in the deep south want a 50/50 cross, period.... the F1 braford is the braford associations biggest enemy ... they are machines

ALACOWMAN is exactly right. My brangus are only 3/8. Its hard for me to go less than that. Some people do. They cross angus back in and call it an A+ while I consider that a B-. I never seizes to amaze me at all the different names and sales pitches they come up with.

If a brangus line is maintained pure for many generations, the genetics and crosses thereto differ from a recent combination.

The brangus association will let you compile a new brangus with registered brahman and angus crosses. Hence, your "brangus" could be the first 3/8 brahman/5/8 angus in the lineage. My brangus are several generations old. There's a difference.

ALACOWMAN":1z0lvyko said:
most ranchers in the deep south want a 50/50 cross, period.... the F1 braford is the braford associations biggest enemy ... they are machines

The Tigers and Brangus are calf producing machines,Beefmaster do a good job as well.

Based on where I think you are mexico, I would really look hard at a Santa Gertrudis or beefmaster on those Brangus. Knowing Beefmaster Like I do, Feel pretty confident that a lasiter herd bull will probably have some Char in him, You probably need something that will handle heat well, those are two breeds do. I little extra brahma in that crossing will not hurt, remember both Beefmaster and Gerts have herefords in them, angus and herfs do well crossed, add the brahma and watch out, i think you will get you best terminal calve from that combination.

thommoos":nm5rwbv2 said:
Based on where I think you are mexico, I would really look hard at a Santa Gertrudis or beefmaster on those Brangus. Knowing Beefmaster Like I do, Feel pretty confident that a lasiter herd bull will probably have some Char in him, You probably need something that will handle heat well, those are two breeds do. I little extra brahma in that crossing will not hurt, remember both Beefmaster and Gerts have herefords in them, angus and herfs do well crossed, add the brahma and watch out, i think you will get you best terminal calve from that combination.
gerts got no hereford in em """shorthorn""" though it wouldnt hurt if they did
:cowboy: