just a plain bad day

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
Yesterday started out real well. Went to town with a friend to do some grocery shopping and get caught up.
I got home, had a bit of lunch. got a phone call from the inlaws they were stranded on the road again. Two days ago i went to help them with the van. Dead battery, altenator not charging. We ended up calling my husband to come and help us when we were almost home cause their battery ran dead again, and i had the fuel light come on in the car. I was not sure if i had enough fuel so i suggested seens how he was coming with a battery, might as well come with some fuel.
Any way back to the story and the near 8 car pile up and the risk that at least 17 could have died....not an exageration
So yesterday he called up and said we are stranded again with the other car. Bring a fuel filtre, wrenchs and a tow rope. He figured i could pulll his little arcadian with my Rav 4. UH no, no tow package on the rav thanks, I bring the big dodge truck....Should have just brought the Rav....reason in a minute.
So i get there, he has no hazzard lights on, 2nd busiest highway in Manitoba, long weekend friday...every one going to the cottage, not to mention he hoard of semis on the road. I give him the screws as only a daughter in law can. he proceded to fix the fuel filtre and the car can not start. Fiddles for a few more minutes and the mother in law says just hook up the tow. I suggest calling a tow truck...I've never towed before..."Nah you'll do fine"
I should mention he took the keys out of the igintion to onlock the hatchback and get a garbage bag to lay on to hook up the tow rope (it had been raining)
He hooked it up to the truck.
I asked how fast...oh about 40-50 km/hr is good.
So i start the truck, he waves all is good to go, I shut my hazzards off for a minute to use the turn signal, he turns his wheel, traffic clear both directions for a good ways, even at their speeed of 100km+ an hour. I pull out and start to head down the road. I am watching him...he is heading into the oncoming lane. I try to compensate and get in front of him and continue to pull. He heads further in to the oncomming traffic, I pull to the ditch on my lane to get him over. He is now near my back end of the truck on oncoming traffic. by now the distant cars are on top of us. A blue car has passed me coming to a stop just in front of him...possible head on collision with the in laws. Two cars behind the blue car, come to a complete stop just behind him, one is inline with my truck door. In our lane, three cars and trucks pulling boats come to a comlpete stop within inches of each other. I nearly crapped my pants.
I got him and i pulled on to the gravel. He gives me the all clear, and i pull him home all the way on the shoulder of the highway at 40km/hr.
I could not get ahold of my husband cause he was out fencing so i called a close friend who owns and auto body shop and repair shop to ask how to get them home the rest of the way safe and sound. He was most helpful
now you have to realize I have to negotiate two dangerous curves yet. they have seen many lives taked away. I am praying for no traffic and safety for us all. Then there are the three turns to get us home. See I figured that the near head on was cause i did some thing wrong in getting us going.

We got home safe and sound. I got out of the truck and apologied for nearly getting us all killed. Well I would probably been alright seens how I was in this truck built like a tank...but still.
"Oh no it wasn't your fault it was the father in laws fault. See he for got to put the keys in the ignition and turn the iginition sightly so the steering wheel would not lock." See what happend was when he turned the wheel to get out on the highway the steerring wheel locked and he could not straighten out untill he got the key in place.
:eek: :shock: :eek:
When i told my husband what had happened boy did the dung hit the fan. Did he ever give it to him. You see the father in law has CAA...road side assistance. He just did not want to wait for the tow truck. The father in law also thought it was not his fault the other drivers stopped so close to us...they were driving to fast... Hubby told him that what he had done was stupid and could have killed many people including themselves and his wife.
I should have just brought the rav there, then they would have had to call a tow truck.
I was a wreck for the rest of the night.

The end

Just how many miles/klicks between where you are and eastern Ontario??? Give me warning if you even enter the province please!

RR, do you remember Lil ABner and Joe with the black cloud following him. Look over your shoulder, any clouds? :lol: :lol:

On a brighter note - the bride was walking our German Shepherd pups last night, Duke is 6 months and about 70 lbs and Dutchess is about 20 pounds lighter. They ran up behind the bride, took her leg out from under her and voila! A broken ankle joins the family. :mad:

8 hours hospital wait last night , 6 hours today and surgery to put at least 4 pins in next week. Meet reluctant nurse ALX for the next 8 weeks!! :mad: Ask me about haying this year! Once the monsoons stop that is!

On a finishing note - it was good to see you realize how much your tow exercise jeopardized both yours and everyone else using the highways lives. And don't be like the FIL - accept your share or responsibility for what could very well have happened. Is it legal to tow without a rigid hitch there? May wanna find out in case it comes up again.

helloooooo dont he know the key has tobe turned on to unlock the steering wheel so he could steer.that wasnt your falt.it was his for forgetting to turn the key on.lucky no 1 was hurt.

i do accept my share of the responsiblity. I could have and should have said no. All i thought though was my name would be mud again for another 6 months. but that is not as important as saving lives and being a safe driver. if we were caught by the police i could have gotten in big trouble, might have cost me my bus driving licence as well.
We are 8 hours from Kenora.

BB338, he new about the key thing, he just forgot he took it out.

Has your husband talked to his parents about maybe not driving anymore. I know driving is a hard freedom to give up but if he is careless it could end up much worse. Was your mother in law ragging on him during this episode? Just my thoughts. Tom :cboy:

I can so relate. My dad still has the van, but he doesn't drive but in the neighborhood anymore. He just forgets about things. It makes me nervous reading that story.

Good thing is--NO ONE WAS HURT--You learned a valuable lesson,don't mess with FIL :D Also to say "NO" next time he calls for a tow..you now know he has tow assisants.... good lessons learned all around,with no one hurt-unless you call all those new grey hairs a hurt :D