Just a little wondering..

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
OK trying to make a long story short.

Soooooo, we met our neighbors to the west for the first time, ya I know 6 years too late, anyways we agreed to get their hay field ,he approached us.
The deal was to pay half when done and then the other half the end of Sept. after my calves and culls are gone.

I weened steers a little while ago because I want to precondition them before they are sold and then the mom's and everyone else (cows with heifers) went to a new pasture until their weening which adjoins the neighbors.
We have a Texas gate separating the two properties with a gate as well which I always close when I move my cows over.
Checked them again today and saw that 5 of my heifer calves were running the fence line balling on his side. So I went over to the Texas gate opened the other gate and managed to get them back across after putting a board down.

Checked the 1/2 mile of fence and there is no way they could get through a five strand wire fence when they weight around 600 lbs.
I called the neighbor apologizing for my calves being in his field and to let me know if he sees anything out of the ordinary as I will go over there asap. He was almost distant and his reaction was not what I think it should have been ,maybe I am paranoid but my cattle have never ever gone across to his side before. Very strange,,so I have paid him the remainder of the balance of the hay field to just be done with it and have posted a big sign saying to keep gate closed at all times. We will see. I am just wondering as we were told by others not to get "involved" with them.

Sorry for the long story.

Do think he was a trying to steal your heifers or somethin? He don't seem to be a raiseing heck at you over it. Cows do manage to pull some pretty slick stuff once in awhile. If your hay deal worked OK and you might need it next year i wouldn't burn no bridges just yet.

I don't know Red Bull , I just thought it odd that I had to bring them back through 2 closed gates.

You are right though, cows can do crazy things and the girls followed me right away,,, also that is why I apologized and even offered to compensation him for what they might have grazed in 24 hours or so, but was told know that was not necessary at all.

It is strange that it was only the commercial heifers with no brands or tattoos though. :?

I had a neighbor whom I was told I'd do well not to get involved with too. He was a bit strange. I got along with him well and he kept wanting me to put my cows on his place. After three years of him asking me, I finally did it. Spent about $1000 fixing his fences and all then he pulls a stunt or two on me that made me understand what the people meant. From then on, I remained friendly to him but I kept my distance.

If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, it probably is a rat.

Sounds fishy, but it could be a coincidence. :?

Hey, thanks everyone.
I went out first thing this morning to check and gates were all closed and the girls are all there. Fence is A OK as well.

So I am chalking it up to coincidence and that because some of the cows were wacky from losing their babies they got everyone in a big cuffufle. Also ,hubby said to let it go. 8) So this is me. 8)

I will however check 3 times a day until they are back on the home quarter. ;-) And if there are any more shenanigans ,,,the shades are coming off..

Latest posts