Just a little bragging... now with Picture

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Bragging on my dad a bit...

Went and watch the TLBT's (Longhorn association's youth organization) National Youth Show (the big end of the year show, part of the World Show). Dr. Bill Able was the judge. He selected a heifer my dad bred as Jr. Champion Female then as Grand Champion Female. I was extremely excited for my dad. He raised the mom and this calf, then sold the pair to a relatively new breeder when the calf was 4 or so months old. My dad bought a cow that was born in 1990 and all cattle he as ever owned were generated through her. He's had a class winner or two at the World Show, but this was the first one that has won it all and been one he raised/bred. The girl that showed the heifer just graduated from high school, and I couldnt think of a better way to go out than winning it all. They did a great job feeding, fitting and showing her, but the registration papers say Breeder: My Dad and I couldnt be happier for him.

Ryan

p.s. the Youth Show is significantly larger than the Open show. I'd be its larger by 75-100 head.

p.p.s. The Grand Champion Youth Bull was also bred by us (the ranch I work for, not my dad). Sold a 3-in-1 in 2007, the bull that won the show was the calf inside. So even though my ranch is not exhibiting at the World Show, we were still very well represented.

Link us up some pics if they're posted anywhere. Let's see the smiles and ribbons along with the cattle!

Congratulations, Ryan! Obviously, your Dad "Bred the Best to the Best" to be able for that mating to be successful. The 'secret' for success is to be able to RECOGNIZE the BEST when you see it! And - how does one achieve that ability to recognize the 'BEST' when you see it? Study, Learn, and Think!

It is NOT just by being LUCKY!

DOC HARRIS

Thanks for all the congratulatories! I know he appreciates them.

I'll get some pictures of the heifer up real soon. He knew that heifer was something special real early. I'm glad he allowed me to sell her and get her out on the show circuit. It was good for him to get her out there, and if he hadn't have sold her, she wouldn't even have been at that show. He gets the credit for noticing something special about her.

Ryan

Congrats to your dad Ryan. There is nothing better than to look on the paper of a quality animal and under breeder it says your name/prefix. Just heard this morning that one of the heifers we sold back in '99 classified excellent and was awarded a lifetime milk production record cert. , btw she is a Rudolf daughter. They may have her registration papers but under breeder it is our name.

hillsdown":17corc7v said:
Congrats to your dad Ryan. There is nothing better than to look on the paper of a quality animal and under breeder it says your name/prefix. Just heard this morning that one of the heifers we sold back in '99 classified excellent and was awarded a lifetime milk production record cert. , btw she is a Rudolf daughter. They may have her registration papers but under breeder it is our name.

I couldn't agree more. We still enjoy winning as much as the next exhibitor, but I find just as much, if not more, joy in watching someone else succeed with something we bred. Everyone knows our prefix and who our sires are, so they know where to go when they see something with our influence win. I love seeing others win with our stuff, because I am helping them be successful, and that makes me happy, personally. It also has done great things for our marketing and sales.

Ryan

Here she is. She was Born March 26, 2008. Picture was taken (about) June 21st, 2009.

I blotted out the faces of the others... not sure on etiquette of posting pictures of other people online. But the one face you can see is mine.

Pearl_WS_small.jpg

Ryan

Keren":3s7n6ags said:
congrats ryan ... interesting, I didnt know you could get LHs marked up like a pinz ... learn something new every day :D

Oh yes, the "lineback" is a very common color pattern in longhorns

Ryan

what does the sire and dam look like. Do you have any pics of them? that has to be the most pinzgauer lookin LH i have ever seen.

Ryan":2570msye said:
Here she is. She was Born March 26, 2008. Picture was taken (about) June 21st, 2009.

I blotted out the faces of the others... not sure on etiquette of posting pictures of other people online. But the one face you can see is mine.

Pearl_WS_small.jpg

Ryan

Congratulations and nice heifer. But why aren't there any banners or ribbons in the picture? Just wondering.

OLF":232mztbi said:
Congratulations and nice heifer. But why aren't there any banners or ribbons in the picture? Just wondering.

This was in the Youth show, and they hand out all the awards at the end of the year banquet that night after the show. They did get a banner but since that group of kiddos shows so many, all the banners and ribbons get immediately handed into the stands to the parents.

Ryan

Latest posts