Just a few questions

Help Support CattleToday:

texasgal0919

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to this site. My husband and I currently have our home up for sale here in Texas. Looking to move back home to Oklahoma or possibly Arkansas. We are going to buy land and cattle and try out the cattle business(on the side of full time jobs of course) but are stuck as to where the best land is for raising cattle and making a profit on it. I realize there is alot more to it than this, but I am just needing some general advice. My question is What parts of OK and AR would be best for raising cattle?

Hawk":40t4g0b7 said:
What's wrong with Texas? Some pretty good cattle country right here.
We are not crazy about west Texas. I won't go as far to say we hate it but the wind and dryness is really getting to us. And not being able to go fishing without driving 2-3 hours somewhere.
I don't think people who have not lived here can judge what it is like. 60mph wind is not very fun

When I say we are moving back home-I mean to Duncan, Oklahoma. I know lots of ranchers up that way but most of them have got into it through inheritance.

I would look at property values in the prospective areas that you are wanting to relocate to, and choose an area that you can get more "bang for your buck", so to speak. In life everything is a compromise, and land is no different, you may find some fantastic land prices, but usually at the cost of convenience.

Just a thought.

texasgal0919":1mioizor said:
Hello everyone. I am new to this site. My husband and I currently have our home up for sale here in Texas. Looking to move back home to Oklahoma or possibly Arkansas. We are going to buy land and cattle and try out the cattle business(on the side of full time jobs of course) but are stuck as to where the best land is for raising cattle and making a profit on it. I realize there is alot more to it than this, but I am just needing some general advice. My question is What parts of OK and AR would be best for raising cattle?

I sent you a PM, texasgal0919.

Northwest Arkansas = Outrageous land prices
Northeast Oklahoma = Cheap Land

Northwest Arkansas is a much nicer place to live.

All depends on what you want. If I were you and had no preference outside of the cattle operation I would go to NE OK and buy 10 times more cattle land than I could touch in NW Arkansas.

I personally need some hills, I can't stand flat land, so I wouldnt go west of Tulsa, or farther south or east of Little Rock. The cheapest land in this area would be extreme northeast ok and north central arkansas. North Central Arkansas is much prettier in my opinion.

Latest posts