Just a baby bull to pick on.

Help Support CattleToday:

Briar Ridge Angus

Reaction score
Just for conversation purposes I figured I would post a picture of my newest Ten X bull born on 11/30. I like the ones I have pretty well as they all come out looking like a bull if you don't like him that's fine and I am completely open to criticism. Please tell me why you do or do not like him. He is on the right in all of the pictures. The other calf is out of a cow that I picked up at a dispersal sale.

Looks alright so far... but like everyone says, it is darned early to really judge.. At this point I'd go by what the cow has done for you previously.. If she's consistently made good, structurally correct calves and the bull wasn't a train wreck (or vice versa).. his odds are pretty good :)

Briar Ridge Angus":3oei0xr1 said:
Just for conversation purposes I figured I would post a picture of my newest Ten X bull born on 11/30. I like the ones I have pretty well as they all come out looking like a bull if you don't like him that's fine and I am completely open to criticism. Please tell me why you do or do not like him. He is on the right in all of the pictures. The other calf is out of a cow that I picked up at a dispersal sale.

What do you like about him ?

There are several things that I like about him and I am still relatively new to the whole thing but I like his head just because he has the "bull look", he seems to be pretty wide in the back, and for his age he seems to have pretty good depth. Other than that I too feel like it is pretty tough to tell a whole lot about him. I do like hearing your alls thoughts though.

Briar Ridge Angus":1ekguv5d said:
There are several things that I like about him and I am still relatively new to the whole thing but I like his head just because he has the "bull look", he seems to be pretty wide in the back, and for his age he seems to have pretty good depth. Other than that I too feel like it is pretty tough to tell a whole lot about him. I do like hearing your alls thoughts though.

I hope you'll track his development and post monthly updates on here for us all to enjoy. He should be a nice bull and I agree, I like his "look" too at this point in his young life.

Good luck!

All the Ten X progeny I've seen have had good muscling and very good growth. I've been told some have structural issues but haven't seen it myself. In fact I've looked for one as I feel they have a lot to offer the commercial breeder.

Briar Ridge Angus":3kf3sk4h said:
Ten X bull born on 11/30.
I like the ones I have pretty well as they all come out looking like a bull...

A nice stout looking little fellow for a sire rated better than average for calving ease.
10 X calves have been popular nationwide.

He's deep, heavy boned, and wide topped. He has a better than avg chance of turning out to be a decent bull.

Looks good, but I have met few calves I don't like. Just bred an exceptional very big heifer to Ten x. The heifer was 950 at 12 months, but is now really pushing 1500 at 20 months. My daughter was showing her so we were a bit late breeding her. Good luck with calf do you have most recent pics?

He looks thick; show us another photo in about 14-15 months.

Everywhere you look, it's 10X...I've been starting to hear lots of complaints about feet issues - particularly rear feet/legs - in 10X offspring. Haven't seen any myself, and not sure I'd recognize a problem, if I did, but the some of the Angus seedstock folks I know of are not pleased.
MIF is noted for siring 'a lot of sheath'... not surprised if it follows down the line.

I don't know thst we will have any feet proble mn s due to our controlled environment thst ee raise cattle in. Might be from too soft of sand to walk in but we keep them in pretty of fixed pens but no padtures. My pasture will barely feed the rattlesnakes that are in it. Because of that we feed them 100%, and thry,dobt really walk much ever. That said, now I have something to look for. He is my first ten x calf if we get him here and doing ok. I won't ai another ten x calf until I am confident in success. I'd like to keep the calf as a heifer, I hope that's what we get. I dont need another bull. The cow/ heifer is a great looking animal.

I hope we don't have the feet and rear legs issues. I hadn't heard of any issues. Can you elaborate on what issues you have heard? Might help me be more aware in looking for results or problems. . The foot issues might be solved with how we raise our cows. Low stress on feet and legs. Our cattle grow up in a very soft controlled environment. Pen fed system for their whole lives. Not a lot of walking required of them. And surfaces are foot friendly for cattle.

I don't know that I've seen a 10X anything... or that I'd recognize a bad foot if I saw it - unless it was something like a screw-claw or elf-slipper(founder) kind of deal.

That said, here are a couple of comments I've seen on another board, from Angus breeders; take it or leave it:
One from KS: "I have seen a ton of 10X calves over the past few years and I have never seen a bull that can consistently produce such putrid rear wheels. You can pick them out simply by the rear leg and feet structure.
I could never stand MIF and 10x seems to be worse."
One from IA: "I've got a few 10X daughters coming with their second calf. If I had to describe them in one word it would be nondescript, with the exception of fertility. Fertility was above average, all settled first service AI and bred back for second calves early, even one that had twins. Otherwise I can't really complain or promote them. Bulls were a little more high headed than I like, cows seem to be OK."
Another one from IA: "Ten X feet were unacceptable here so good luck."

After 2 months of growth I still like where this little guy is at. He is growing well!

Here is a few pics of his half brother also. The brother is also sired by Ten X but he was born 09/08. He is also doing well and looks to be pretty deep bodied. I like the way my Ten X calves are growing!!

I know there will be some people who talk about the feed trough, they get fed a little grain about once per week and I take pictures with my phone so they have to be relatively close.

Latest posts