Jury Duty

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I don't mind doing my civic duty. It is an honor, in fact, that I have never tried to shirk. I spent yesterday in the service of my county. In fact, I have been summoned 6 times in the past 7 years. Never have I been chosen for service. Two cases settled, one case, the defendant escaped, and three of them I was not picked. I would like to actually serve and I am starting to feel like something is wrong with me! :roll: I came the closest I have ever come yesterday. I was one of the first six, but was struck.

Anybody have any interesting jury stories? I feel like the proverbial "bridesmaid, never the bride".

Lammie":7a4a8z4c said:
I don't mind doing my civic duty. It is an honor, in fact, that I have never tried to shirk. I spent yesterday in the service of my county. In fact, I have been summoned 6 times in the past 7 years. Never have I been chosen for service. Two cases settled, one case, the defendant escaped, and three of them I was not picked. I would like to actually serve and I am starting to feel like something is wrong with me! :roll: I came the closest I have ever come yesterday. I was one of the first six, but was struck.

Anybody have any interesting jury stories? I feel like the proverbial "bridesmaid, never the bride".

Wife gets called about once a year. I never have been. Must say something about crotchety old fart on my drivers license file.

Lammie":2pk5lacp said:

Lammie, do you have that "Hang'um High" look on your face as the selection is being made? :) We had a famous case in my neck of the woods recently and I am very glad that I didn't have to serve on it. Don't mind serving on the lower profile ones, actually quite an experience.

I've had to set through voir dire many times but have never been chosen. And probably never will be chosen since my husband has been in law enforcement for over 25 years. For some mystic reason defense attorney's always strike me from the list. I wonder why :?:

I have been called several times. First time I was selected for the jury in a slip and fall insurance case.
After hearing the case we agreed that the store owner and building owner were not negligent in anyway for the dear ladies injuries. That is we all agreed except for one woman who said she didn't care and would go along with what the rest of us decided.

In spite of agreeing that there was no negligence, with the exception of myself and one other, the rest of them wanted to give the poor lady who fell down some insurance money anyway.
It took the two of us some time to convince the others that you can't find no negligence and still award money. They were willing to rip off the insurance company. To them it wouldn't cost anybody to give her some money and the insurance company had plenty of money.
I don't have a lot of faith in the jury system as it is.

Other times I have been called they didn't want me on the jury. When they questioned me I had a bad habit of arguing with the lawyers. Seemed to me they were looking for people they could easily influence. I'm sure I'm wrong. ;-) But that is the way it seemed to me.

This was a juvenile offender case. I was asked by the prosecutor if I had an issue with it, and I responded that if the boy knows what's happening to him and knows that there are consequences to his actions, then no. I guess all those years with MHMR have caught up with me. I tend to look at everything from the perspective of mental capacity. :D He didn't look like no brain surgeon.

Been called once for a two week stint for the county. Sat on two short trials, one for a traffic offense and one for indecent exposure and stalking. Both guilty.

Felt bad about the kid charged with running a stop sign. Seemed kind of nit-picky to most of us, but by the letter of the law he was guilty, so that's how we ruled.

The other case was more interesting, but I won't go into details. ;-) There was no doubt this guy was guilty, but I heard later the case was overturned on some technicality. He was retried, found guilty again and sent to prison(again). Friend of mine who works in the public defenders office said he was released after 18 months and is now in jail in another county charged with the same thing. Oh, well.

VanC":agj97mn4 said:
one for indecent exposure and stalking.

There was no doubt this guy was guilty, but I heard later the case was overturned on some technicality. He was retried, found guilty again and sent to prison(again). he was released after 18 months and is now in jail in another county charged with the same thing.

:shock: :shock:

My sympathies go out to the people he was stalking/exposing to.

Katherine

I always get pulled for federal court - at least every other year. Something must be wrong with me too cause they always dump me. But once I got picked to be the 13th juror. I was really hoping somebody would eat a bad pickled egg or something so I could get in the box. Unfortunately, the defendent overpowered a guard, took his gun and excaped from the courthouse. It was an utter waste of a day but where else can you earn $20 for doing nothing?

It's been about 25 years since I have been called but as we arrived on Monday morning they were going to pick a jury for a captial murder case. I was sitting next to a buddy of mine who had only been married a week or two. I didn't get picked for the trial but my buddy did. He was sequestered at a local motel for about 6 weeks. Boy, was his new bride pi$$ed !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did get picked the next day for a trial involving one the the County Commisioner's sons on possesion of a stolen instrument (ie, he had tried to use a stolen check to by groceries.). We found him guilty. Weeks later we heard that it was his 3rd felonany and he got 15 years.

Latest posts