Junky Equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
I gotta admit , I'm a sucker for a "value ", buy a piece at an auction for a good price , spend more than I paid to fix it up and hope it works. Keeps me outta the beer joints at least .

True Grit Farms":nw2a45us said:
As I get softer I've been buying new - newer equipment. I use to rebuild every thing, now I'm so sorry I don't even fix flat tires anymore.
After working on a "new to me" baler, and having the tractor hydraulic system give me a humbling experience , I have to question my sanity .

snoopdog":2gte8al0 said:
I gotta admit , I'm a sucker for a "value ", buy a piece at an auction for a good price , spend more than I paid to fix it up and hope it works. Keeps me outta the beer joints at least .

Is there another way?

JMJ Farms":1t5r2gq9 said:
snoopdog":1t5r2gq9 said:

Is there another way?

What year is that new 6 series of yours? Your still to young to have such nice equipment. But you definitely deserve it, I'm just jealous.

True Grit Farms":3fhrdfji said:
JMJ Farms":3fhrdfji said:
snoopdog":3fhrdfji said:

Is there another way?

What year is that new 6 series of yours? Your still to young to have such nice equipment. But you definitely deserve it, I'm just jealous.

I knew that comment was gonna bite me! I think it's a 2012. But I can't remember. Bought it out of Oklahoma last fall. Sold my old 4430 to pay for part of it. The rest come out of savings. Bad part is the cows haven't contributed to the savings! And that's the truth.

BUT, almost all the other equipment I've got was bought with some problem that had to be fixed. It's been aggravating but it's saved me a bunch of money over the years. A bunch. I've got a little 5510 MFWD that was rough when I got it but had low hours. I'd spend a little here and a little there and i finally got it put back together and if I had to pick between the 5510 and the 6115 and could only keep one I'd keep the 5510. Handy little tractor. I'd venture to say I could make 50% profit on all the equipment I've bought in the last 10 years. It wasn't all junk when I bought it but most needed an overhaul and some TLC. Might have me a package deal worked out on a mower, tedder, rake, and baler. It's all used but pretty dang good stuff. Unless I bale a little for some neighbors it looks like a 10 year payout to get my money back. I ain't for sure that I want to use my money but the bank charges interest. Can you charge yourself interest? Seems counterproductive.

One exception. I haven't been able to find a used squeeze chute for much less than a new price. I guess I'm gonna have to buy a new one.

JMJ Farms":2wdw95yv said:
True Grit Farms":2wdw95yv said:
JMJ Farms":2wdw95yv said:
Is there another way?

I knew that comment was gonna bite me! I think it's a 2012. But I can't remember. Bought it out of Oklahoma last fall. Sold my old 4430 to pay for part of it. The rest come out of savings. Bad part is the cows haven't contributed to the savings! And that's the truth.

BUT, almost all the other equipment I've got was bought with some problem that had to be fixed. It's been aggravating but it's saved me a bunch of money over the years. A bunch. I've got a little 5510 MFWD that was rough when I got it but had low hours. I'd spend a little here and a little there and i finally got it put back together and if I had to pick between the 5510 and the 6115 and could only keep one I'd keep the 5510. Handy little tractor. I'd venture to say I could make 50% profit on all the equipment I've bought in the last 10 years. It wasn't all junk when I bought it but most needed an overhaul and some TLC. Might have me a package deal worked out on a mower, tedder, rake, and baler. It's all used but pretty dang good stuff. Unless I bale a little for some neighbors it looks like a 10 year payout to get my money back. I ain't for sure that I want to use my money but the bank charges interest. Can you charge yourself interest? Seems counterproductive.

One exception. I haven't been able to find a used squeeze chute for much less than a new price. I guess I'm gonna have to buy a new one.
The Ag show in Moultrie has a bunch of dealers there showing how there products work in October, and a bunch of us will be there on Wednesday. Priefert had a show special on the SO4 last year tow dolly and all. My old WW chute knocked the wind out of our high tec vet, now Bob stays in back now where he belongs.

Seems like I've been doing my share of working on the newer stuff lately. Even had to borrow a baler to finish up as both mine couldn't make it to the finish line.

JMJ Farms":355qy1gs said:
snoopdog":355qy1gs said:

Is there another way?
Not for me really , I actually do pretty fair , just had to blow a little steam . I enjoy fixing stuff up on the cheap, when I have the time to do it at my own slow pace.

If you bought brand new equipment 10 years ago you can pretty much sell it for what it cost you new now.

crazyhow much stuff has went up in price.

EX: I quoted a new NO till trill for around 13k.. They are 15k now USED with 4k acres on them...

ddd75":nw9sgayr said:
If you bought brand new equipment 10 years ago you can pretty much sell it for what it cost you new now.

crazyhow much stuff has went up in price.

EX: I quoted a new NO till trill for around 13k.. They are 15k now USED with 4k acres on them...

Bought a used 7' Great Plains 705NT two years ago sight unseen out of Tennessee. Paid $12500 with 111 acres on it. I was nervous bc it sounded way too cheap. They must've got fertilizer on it somehow. Or maybe snow? Idk. The boxes were like new. But places on the frame, hitch, catwalks, steps, and coulters were pitted pretty deep with rust. I cleaned it up, sprayed a rust killer on it, and painted those spots. They are still pitted but I keep it under a barn and haven't noticed the rust getting any worse.

JMJ Farms":1f448jlk said:
True Grit Farms":1f448jlk said:
JMJ Farms":1f448jlk said:
Is there another way?

TSC is running $4k for new HD ones. Neighbor spotted 2 HD units, one at local used dealer and other on Craigslist, both $1800 area. So they're out there.

Bigger newer equipment is holding value here, but the smaller older stuff is not. Too many retirement auctions.

The talking heads sometimes mention buying collectable, or soon to be collectable, equipment that will appreciate. Have you seen any tractors like this?

Stocker Steve":14ka9wuz said:
Bigger newer equipment is holding value here, but the smaller older stuff is not. Too many retirement auctions.

The talking heads sometimes mention buying collectable, or soon to be collectable, equipment that will appreciate. Have you seen any tractors like this?

Deere 20 series. 3020 in particular.

Texasmark":33mmciff said:
JMJ Farms":33mmciff said:

TSC is running $4k for new HD ones. Neighbor spotted 2 HD units, one at local used dealer and other on Craigslist, both $1800 area. So they're out there.

I can buy a new Priefert S04 for $3600. No palp cage. No dolly. As far as used you won't find them on Craigslist in Middle Georgia. I do see some in Florida and Tennessee occasionally. We have a a Dept of Ag publication called the Market Bulletin. There will occasionally be one in there but they're usually in N Georgia and unless you can just pick up and leave right then the chute will be gone before you can usually get there. Neighbor bought one from another neighbor that was selling out. S01 w/ cage and dolly. Floor is rusted out. Pd $1800. Offered him his money back. But he declined.

Atimm693":152fuyju said:
Stocker Steve":152fuyju said:

but not 30 series ?

Stocker Steve":l2x59jfg said:
Atimm693":l2x59jfg said:
Stocker Steve":l2x59jfg said:

but not 30 series ?

Yeah, 30s and probably 40s as well.

As far as squeezes go, they are fairly regular around here, at a decent price unless you have to have the latest and greatest . I ran one to 350, and got beat out at 400, good solid chute, just old latch technology . The guy didn't take it and when I went back to pick up my other stuff , the auctioneer asked me if I wanted it , for 400 of course , I offered him 300

i have a like brand new Powder River XL manual i'd sell for 3800.

Latest posts