Junk

Help Support CattleToday:

C & C Land & Catt

Reaction score
I bought a new personal truck 6 months ago. It is a dodge 3500 6 speed. It has 60000 miles on it and warranty for another 15000. So far I have blown 1 motor, 3 trannys, 2 transfer cases, 1 rear end and 5 front ends. Took it in last week and they told me that it had too much mud underneath to warranty the 4th trannsmission. Took it out to a low water crossing and cleaned it out by running through it a few times. We should get it back next week and as soon as we do it is going in for a ford. I know I terrorize trucks but I have never had this many problems before. I will never buy dodge again.

What did you do to the poor truck? My dad has had a dodge for about 8 years and has never had these problems. I have had more problems from my ford then dads dodge.

C & C Land & Catt":oenr7cl6 said:
Mud bog a little bit, jump through some creeks, chase coyotes, haul cattle, haul tractors, haul hay, get stuck on a weekly basis, and occasionally drive down the highway.

Hey C&C! Sounds like you believe those TV commercials where they are doing all of those wild things with those TRUCKS! Don't you know that they have to use a NEW truck for each commercial adv? Tear one up on each commercial....

Sorry about that...couldn't resist!

Incidentally, I have a 98 Dodge Ram, 5.9, V8 extended cab. 70,000 miles on it. Highway, city, pasture time, pulling utility & stock trailers, haul cattle & horses, etc. Only had to replace 1 starter and one set of Goodyear tires since owned it. Oh yes...2 sets of wiper blades.

:)

Hmmm.. that's hard to take C & C! I"ve had a 3500 since November.. six speed.. has about 30,000 miles right now, and the only thing I've had to fix on it is.. hmmm... nothing! I don't go "mudding" with it however.. it's too $$$ to try and tear up just for fun. I do pull a 32 foot stock trailer with it.

The 3500 we traded in on this one had almost 100,000 miles, and never had a problem.

C & C Land & Catt":8y9tp4v1 said:
Mud bog a little bit, jump through some creeks, chase coyotes, haul cattle, haul tractors, haul hay, get stuck on a weekly basis, and occasionally drive down the highway.
I'm a faithful Ford fan, but I've noted that one make is not leaps and bounds ahead of the other in the "holds up against abuse" department.

That sure sounds like lots of problems and headaches. But you might want to look at a few truck forums before to trade it in (just to decide what to trade it on not change your mind). I spend quite a bit of time on a few and the Fords and GMs seem to have more poeple complaining about them than the Dodges. I have a 3500 with 88,000 right now and it has it's problems but I don't think I would trade it and I was always a strong GM supporter.

Roy

I am a Chevy Fan myself, but have friend who Love Fords and they are VERY abusive drivers,

I would say a power stroke is what you need, but you still have to break the thing in for 15-20000, if you get a diesel, if not you get what has happen to your Dodge

I worked for an outfit that did utility line maintenence and inspections. Company trucks were 2 wd only. Company said 4 wd just encouraged guys to get em in further to get stuck and broken. whenever you push equip to the edge of the envelope it can get expensive. maybe the next truck should be a hummer or surplus 6X6 :?:

i think anything is gonna get torn up taking it mudding like that. im a very biased ford fan, but they will all hold up the same under those conditions. a buddy of mine has a 02 expedition with 6" lift and 38" tires, takes it mudding any chance he can get. he even takes it around the city to construction sites after its been raining. hes gone through 2 transmissions and flooded some seals in it a couple times. the only reason he got it fixed is by using the excuse "Its a 4x4, its supposed to be able to go off road". his dad has a 03 F-150 with 4" lift and 35" tires. takes it mudding just as often and never had a problem. another buddy has 03 Ram 1500 stock. goes mudding all the time and never had a problem. this is probably getting pretty boring to read but im making my point.

well, there is one part of the ram that is less durable. the body. dodge bodies are extremely easilty dented because of the cheaper materials. thats why they cost less too.

C & C Land & Catt":i0wikb7d said:
I bought a new personal truck 6 months ago. It is a dodge 3500 6 speed. It has 60000 miles on it and warranty for another 15000. So far I have blown 1 motor, 3 trannys, 2 transfer cases, 1 rear end and 5 front ends. Took it in last week and they told me that it had too much mud underneath to warranty the 4th trannsmission. Took it out to a low water crossing and cleaned it out by running through it a few times. We should get it back next week and as soon as we do it is going in for a ford. I know I terrorize trucks but I have never had this many problems before. I will never buy dodge again.

To be fair, try the same with that new Ford and report back on the results.

C & C Land & Catt":3mee19f1 said:

That is a lot of problems in a short time. Is it still on the road?

jltrent":fcch9rku said:
C & C Land & Catt":fcch9rku said:

14 years later I doubt it. Lol

Running Arrow Bill":ha1g3k2i said:
C & C Land & Catt":ha1g3k2i said:

Hey C&C! Sounds like you believe those TV commercials where they are doing all of those wild things with those TRUCKS! Don't you know that they have to use a NEW truck for each commercial adv? Tear one up on each commercial....

Sorry about that...couldn't resist!

Incidentally, I have a 98 Dodge Ram, 5.9, V8 extended cab. 70,000 miles on it. Highway, city, pasture time, pulling utility & stock trailers, haul cattle & horses, etc. Only had to replace 1 starter and one set of Goodyear tires since owned it. Oh yes...2 sets of wiper blades.

:)

TheBullLady":ha1g3k2i said:
Hmmm.. that's hard to take C & C! I"ve had a 3500 since November.. six speed.. has about 30,000 miles right now, and the only thing I've had to fix on it is.. hmmm... nothing! I don't go "mudding" with it however.. it's too $$$ to try and tear up just for fun. I do pull a 32 foot stock trailer with it.

The 3500 we traded in on this one had almost 100,000 miles, and never had a problem.

You guys act like that's high miles. 100k is just getting broke in. Check back when they have 300k.

Dodge has always ranked lowest in reliability. There's a reason that company has changed hands so many times. If it weren't for Cummins, I'm not sure that Ram trucks would even still be around.

That being said, every brand has their own set of problems.

Have a 95 Dodge 2500, diesel. Engine and the running gear (besides the transmission) are the only good parts of it. Interior is garbage and it's an electrical mess.

Spend an afternoon dealing with the A/C quick connects that Chrysler uses on every single connection and you'll see what I mean. Ford uses them on one or two lines, Chevy doesn't use them at all.

Don't even get me started on fuse panels that aren't labeled (Ford and Chrysler.)

kenny thomas":d7a6qjru said:
jltrent":d7a6qjru said:
C & C Land & Catt":d7a6qjru said:

I know were a couple are still on the road older than that one.....

jltrent":1z9zcggp said:
kenny thomas":1z9zcggp said:
jltrent":1z9zcggp said:

I know were a couple are still on the road older than that one.....
I know where one sitting that was abused like that one,, but yahoos like that could shatter steel balls with rubber mallets...turn them into scrap iron within a year..

greybeard":26vbskgv said:
zombie thread returns to life after 14 years in the grave.
A lot of newbies and some very good old threads that are still relative even today....I probably spend more time on old threads reading than current. Seems like this board around 2008-10 has some really good useful info for research as with so today...