Junior Livestock Show Auction

Help Support CattleToday:

txshowmom

Reaction score
This question is directed toward people that buy projects at Junior Livestock Show Auctions. My question is: Does it persude you either way if a child sends you a letter inviting you or asking you to bid on their project at the auction?

I always buy at our county fair. But, if a junior either buys a calf from me or a junior that I know sends a letter, I will show up the majority of the time and if I can't be there I will authorize a bid amount.

We rarely see letters from juniors before the sale. Seems that a lot of the repeat customers are those that received a letter from the junior after the sale thanking the buyer for the purchase. Persoanly I think the 4-H/FFA leaders should insure that the kids send a thank you letter, but in this area they don't.

dun

Persoanly I think the 4-H/FFA leaders should insure that the kids send a thank you letter, but in this area they don't.

I agree in our county the don't get their check until they turn in their thank you notes and the stock show association sends they buyer a picture as well.

One of the ag advisors is a frioend of mine, think I'll mention this idea to him. Who knows, it may actually catch on. While I don't see any real value in forcing kids to send the letters, it just seems to me that it might be the little idea/push/club needed that might spark the idea of what's appropriate in society.

dun

I don't think its too much to ask to send a thank you note to someone that spent a couple thousand dollars on your project.

When our sons were still at home and raising 4-H market hogs and steers this is the plan they used. Their first year, they went around and personally invited buyers to come to the fair to bid on animals. They sent thank you cards after the fair and sale. Before the next years event, they sent invitations and thank you cards again to any buyer that had ever bought from them, regardless of how many years past it was. They also bought 100 postcards and sent to people that had bought before, but not from them, thanking them for the support and inviting them back. They used the extra cards to invite people that had never bought before. They just briefly introduced themselves and explained the program. A lot of people don't realize they can purchase an animal strictly for the advertising and have it shipped to recoup part of their costs. Explaining this got them a few new bidders. Everyone pays to get into our county fair. They sometimes included a pass for the day of the sale and told them to give it to someone else if they couldn't make it. At the barns, they treated everyone with respect and as a potential buyer. If interested they explained the bidding process, hauling procedures, processing facilities, etc. These postcards, thank yous, and invitations cost them maybe $50 a year. One nickel bid on a 1200lb steer was $60, and they already had their advertising money back. This worked extremely well for them and their buyers seemed to appreciate the fact that the kids realized this was a favor from the buyers. Some of the kids thought the buyers were obligated to be there - that they didn't have to solicit for themselves. The kids who worked were usually rewarded with an extra 20-50 cents per pound on their animals at the sale. One of the local buyers, Missouri Trappers Association, always purchased a hog and donated it back to the local 4-H and FFA organizations. They in turn had a 'Buyers Recognition' pancake and sausage supper. Our boys did hand deliver a lot of the notes and cards and this always worked best, when the buyer could put a name with a face. Our oldest grandson is 8 and this will be his first year in 4-H with market hogs. He already has the buyers lists from his dad and uncles and has already started sending cards, introducing himself and thanking people for buying his dad's animals when he was a kid. He already has three buyers who have promised to come and bid on his hog next August. Enough kids take things for granted, that in this area, a kid willing to put out a little effort is definitely rewarded! I salute all the buyers who support all our youth!

a couple of years ago the kids in our area began sending out letters and soliciting bids before the show. personally, i have no problem with a general letter going out to potential buyers reminding them that the stock show is coming up & asking for support, but i do not like the idea of kids sending me letters asking me to buy their animal. we support several local shows in our area and help purchase animals at each of them. sometimes we specify which kid gets the money & sometimes we just add it to a general account. maybe i'm old-fashioned, but i do expect a thank-you letter. i also don't think it matters if someone gives $1000 or $5, they should receive a thank you. one of our local shows is like the one mentioned above......thank-you's must be sent before the kid gets their check.

I didn't mention this in my earlier post, but my kids have been out of 4-H since 1993. I have bought 1-3 market hogs each year since then. I buy animals of the kids who have asked me to bid on their animals. If I don't receive a 'thank you' card or note, I don't bid on their animals the next year. If none of the kids ask us to bid on their animals, we don't. We go to the local sale barn the next week and pick them up for market price instead of paying premium price at the fair, often more than double the market. That's just the way we do it. A few of the buyers around here prefer that the kids leave them alone, they'll show up, buy something, and go home, but most of them prefer the personal contact from the kids. Regardless of any of our preferences as buyers, I think the most important issue is that the kids don't lose focus of the fact that the buyers do not have to do this and shouldn't be taken for granted.

fit2btied":2yuk2d1k said:
most important issue is that the kids don't lose focus of the fact that the buyers do not have to do this and shouldn't be taken for granted.

good point!

I agree that kids should not send letters to people asking them to buy "their" animal, because this shows selfishness. My first year at fair i did not get a good price for my steer but the two kids who placed ahead and behind me got at least 40-1.00 more per pound. they were from well known families. The letters should invite buyers to bid on any animal they see fit to at the auction not a specific one.

We thank buyers with a poster at the beef barn and some send letters. I am now too old to sell at our fair auction but any kid who purchases a steer from me I will bid on or buy and I may buy other kids animals if i have enough funds.(at 18 years old the funds are limited) I would buy other animals not from the kids i know but from the ones that look like they are doing the project because they like it not because they want the money. Some kids get in the ring and you can tell they dont want to be there and they didnt spend the time on the animal that was necessary.

Last fair I did a drawing and sold it at the Market Stock Sale to support an organization called Friends of the Fair, Which buys several animals every year to ensure that kids get a fair price and dont loose money on their projects. I plan to continue to do this every year to support the kids.

Shelby

rgv4":drsk3kph said:
I always buy at our county fair. But, if a junior either buys a calf from me or a junior that I know sends a letter, I will show up the majority of the time and if I can't be there I will authorize a bid amount.

The letters that I receive are just invitations to the Junior Livestock Auctions, the kids are not just wanting me to buy their animals.

Our county fair also has the kids turn in a Thank you letter before they get their checks.

Our fair has a comm. heifer division that I buy most of our replacements at. It's cheaper to have a kid feed and raise it, then for me to raise one.
Plus it's supports the kids and their education.

PLR":2wbhofcu said:
I agree that kids should not send letters to people asking them to buy "their" animal, because this shows selfishness. My first year at fair i did not get a good price for my steer but the two kids who placed ahead and behind me got at least 40-1.00 more per pound. they were from well known families. The letters should invite buyers to bid on any animal they see fit to at the auction not a specific one.

We thank buyers with a poster at the beef barn and some send letters. I am now too old to sell at our fair auction but any kid who purchases a steer from me I will bid on or buy and I may buy other kids animals if i have enough funds.(at 18 years old the funds are limited) I would buy other animals not from the kids i know but from the ones that look like they are doing the project because they like it not because they want the money. Some kids get in the ring and you can tell they dont want to be there and they didnt spend the time on the animal that was necessary.

Last fair I did a drawing and sold it at the Market Stock Sale to support an organization called Friends of the Fair, Which buys several animals every year to ensure that kids get a fair price and dont loose money on their projects. I plan to continue to do this every year to support the kids.

Shelby

This year there was a little kid that showd several Angus heifers in different classes. Where all the other kids were fighting their heifers and having to haul them around or have someone tail them, this little guy that didn't even come up to a yearlings nose just walked in with the heifers following. The stopped when he stopped, moved out when he wanted. Broke my heart that he didn't place better then he did. You could tell this kid really spent the time working with his animals and enjoyed showing them (off). If giure he's the kind of kid that will grow up to be aJake type in a few years.

dun

I agree that kids should not send letters to people asking them to buy "their" animal, because this shows selfishness. My first year at fair i did not get a good price for my steer but the two kids who placed ahead and behind me got at least 40-1.00 more per pound. they were from well known families. The letters should invite buyers to bid on any animal they see fit to at the auction not a specific one

Agreed!

4-H in my area does not allow the kid to get the money until all suppliers and buyers have received not only a thankyou letter, but a personal visit from the kid who particpated.

The visit is to pay off all outstanding bills - most suppliers and such in our area allow 4-H members to carry a tab until the calf is sold.

Even if there is no outstanding bill the member is required to personally thank the owner for supporting 4-H.

It works well in this area.

Regards

Bruce

It is mandatory for the kids at our school to get the thank you cards sent out before the Ag Teacher passes out checks. My wife and I usually add to the premium on alot of kids in our county. And, personally I like all those hand written(sometimes hard to read) thank you cards more than the printed out thank you's.

I spoke to the ag advisor and the vet that is one of the board members today. They take a picture of the animal at judging time, when it is bought, the kid takes the picture to the buyer and thanks them. They're encouraged to write a personal thank you, but they admit that few of the kids do. When I told them about the holding the check until they turned in a thank you letter they agreed that it sounds like a good idea and may do it next year.
I knew that last year they had changed the method of determining the grand and reserve champion but didn't understand why. It seems that some of the parents were going to the big club calf sales and were buying multi-thousand dollar calves for the kids to show. Last year they started ultrasounding the steers and the results go into the determination of G & R Champion. None of the expensive club calf steers placed very well. They measure ribeye, backfat and marbling and that goes into the equation and is loaded to be 75% of the score. This year the champ was a black baldy and the reserve was an angus. They're still tweaking the loading factors and the scoring of the animals on their placement in the ring. BTW, both of the champs were local bred and raised. There was a real stink about the new grading system last year because a $5500 steer from the clubers didn't even place.

dun

dun":2kczkq6s said:
This year the champ was a black baldy and the reserve was an angus. They're still tweaking the loading factors and the scoring of the animals on their placement in the ring. BTW, both of the champs were local bred and raised. There was a real stink about the new grading system last year because a $5500 steer from the clubers didn't even place.

dun

I think I made a comment a week or so ago that no steer was worth more than $200.00 than any other.

Makes you wonder, Where are the parents? Rules here are:
1. Pick out your steer
2. Do your paperwork
3. You learn to handle your steer and take care of him
4. Get your presentation ready
5. PERSONALLY visit your potential buyers and present your
project...also son on his own purchases extra passes, you
only get 2 buyer passes, and gives one to each buyer to
attend the auction, regardless of who's steer they bid on
6. At fair, keep your area clean, take care of your steer and
have your poster hung
7. Auction Day, thank all the bidders you invited for coming
TO THE AUCTION and all buyers in general for supporting
the local 4H
8. Once steer is sold, back to the barn, immediately hang your
THANK YOU poster, which is already done and just waiting
for the buyers name to be added
9. On his own he seeks out the buyer and gives them the Fair
Thank You Plaque and also a small token of his thanks...
this year he had me help him make T-Shirts with his picture
with his steer, steer's name and year and again Thank Them
10. Within one week from auction end write a Thank You and
mail to the buyer.

It always amazed me being here in a small community the number
of potential buyers that expressed their surprise that he came in
person, guess they were use to getting just letters.
These kids
need to remember without the BUYERS where would they be!

I think as a parent it is my responsibility to see that he is aware
what is acceptable behavior, manners, etc. ;-)

Sorry didn't mean to be long winded, just irrates me that some
parents seem to have left it up to someone else to do the right thing
when it comes to raising their kids

back when i was showing i would also give a restaurant gift certificate to my buyer along with a written thank you. pics were always taken (& still are) with the buyer, kid & animal & the buyer received one of these as well.

txag":2zljbim3 said:
back when i was showing i would also give a restaurant gift certificate to my buyer .

The restaurant gift certificate is an excellent idea. It shows above and beyond the call of duty your appreciation to the buyer.

Latest posts