Jug line fishing

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I enjoy the heck out of it, but it's illegal in most places around here.
Paddling around chasing jugs makes for a fun day and a good meal that night

Safer than trot lines. I have heard too many stories of men getting caught up in the hooks and drown.

Lots of different types of jugs from soft drink bottles to anything that holds air and floats.
3/4" pvc pipe with a weight inside and a pool noodle on the outside.
A baited hook and thrown out.
When a fish is on it drags it around or a big fish will pull it under from time to time.
You paddle around chasing jugs and catching the fish.

Cross-7":1ffcmlsf said:
Lots of different types of jugs from soft drink bottles to anything that holds air and floats.
When a fish is on it drags it around or a big fish will pull it under from time to time.

Here they use Clorox bottles.

Bright Raven":3qrnfuqy said:
Cross-7":3qrnfuqy said:

That works just as well
It's a fun day chasing jugs of all types :D

Cross-7":34wu1xjm said:
Bright Raven":34wu1xjm said:
Cross-7":34wu1xjm said:

That works just as well

You'll get over It! 8)

Cross-7":1b7sejuq said:
Bright Raven":1b7sejuq said:
Cross-7":1b7sejuq said:

That works just as well

Are we still talking about fishing?

its not allowed in Florida , however I can buy a Georgia license and as long as I fish from center of river east i'm legal however I can not return to the boat landing in Florida with jugs and fish in the same boat. I have 3 choices have someone meet me and take the fish with them or the jugs / leave jugs on east bank go to landing put fish in a vehicle other than mine with boat trailer go back and get jugs / drive 40 miles around to a landing that is only 3/4 of a mile from the landing on the florida side . needless to say when the starts all line up and I get the logistics worked out it a lot of fun.

Jogeephus":3j0jrtna said:
I enjoy fishing like that. I use the same setup. Jugs are to bulky.

I chased jugs from age 16 to my mid 20's never handled any jugs that were too bulky :D ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) :p :cowboy:

Pretty sure it's still legal in Texas as long as your jugs are tagged properly. It was my dad's favorite way of fishing for the big blues out of Texoma.

When you need to have a fish fry, jugs are the only way to go. I'm glad to have a driver when they get to biting.
We use cut up pool noodles for jugs.

callmefence":16dsmhlp said:
True Grit Farms":16dsmhlp said:
How do you fry fresh water fish and keep the meat firm?

Thin pieces and very hot grease. Agreed it's inferior to saltwater fish.

I've been grilling/smoking some catfish lately. It ain't blackened Redfish with cheese grits, but it works in a pinch.

Farm Fence Solutions":yb1tmq37 said:
callmefence":yb1tmq37 said:
True Grit Farms":yb1tmq37 said:
How do you fry fresh water fish and keep the meat firm?

Thin pieces and very hot grease. Agreed it's inferior to saltwater fish.

I've been grilling/smoking some catfish lately. It ain't blackened Redfish with cheese grits, but it works in a pinch.

Redfish? Only eat it in a pinch and when your really hungry. Gotcha Fenceman, I was hoping there was a trick to cooking freshwater fish. Speck, white perch, and crappie with bass a close second are my favorite freshwater fish to eat.

Latest posts