Judging........

Help Support CattleToday:

Its just a longhorn show.... youth show (18 and under)

Longhorns definantly don't have the natural thickness of a hereford, that is for sure.

Ryan":kxti7sfd said:
Its just a longhorn show.... youth show (18 and under)

Longhorns definantly don't have the natural thickness of a hereford, that is for sure.

You'll do fantastic!! Be confident; not cocky!! Judge'em like you like'em!!

I kinda like it when the judge does some from top to bottom and some from bottom to top. Some classes are easier to judge from the bottom up and sometimes easier from the top down. Do whatever is easier for you.

And to make everyone feel better give a good point about even the bottom calf just because they places last a good word makes the kid feel better. I think some of my favorit jugdes are the ones who are funny and make you smile, and that give you a moment to get you animal set up right because they may be angles out side the ring but sometimes you wouldn't think so.And the calmer the showman is the calmer the calf will be So be layed back. Give the kids some advise on what they could do to help them or the calf, moms and dads love that type of stuff. I like a juge who goes from Bottom to Top, but if you have a great calf then it doesn't matter , just so your place on top. Good luck and let us no how it goes. ;-)

I always place bottom to top. Place every class the same way, don't switch up.

As far as the going through the barn beforehand, don't, I know of judges here in Texas that do that, they also place the calves in the class by if the kid was getting them ready or if someone else was doing all the work. Then I know of judges that place calves by who is on the end of the lead, don't, some kids that always win, it wouldn't matter if they walked in the ring with a dog in a heifer show, they would be grand champion. Judge the calf, when you are judgeing the heifer show, not the kids showmanship. Know of a couple judges that do that, don't. These things give you a bad rep. and everybody talks.

First thing - Stay out of the barn and keep the friendly chit chat to a minimum. Prevents "the talk" after the show.

Second - Take your time. Top to bottom or bottom to top - does not matter in my mind. I used to do top down but have seen it well done the other way as well.

Third - Relax. It is your opinion they are after. Not the talk from the stands.

Fourth - Have some good questions for each kid - and take note of the answers. It will show who really did the work.

Fifth - Other than asking the questions - ignore the the person on the lead. You are judging cattle - not make up, smiles and clothing styles.

Sixth - When you are in doubt about two or three animals - or even one - have the kids take them for a walk again. You own the ring.

Finally - When all is said and done - have YOUR reasons ready for the explanation of why youpicked in the order you did.

At least you will not need a couple buckets of water to wet them down and see what they really look like - and doing that REALLY makes the high priced folks sit up and take notice.

Bez+

I may not have explained myself quite as well as I had thought. By consistency in type, I mean that I have been in rings where the judging goes as follows:

FIRST CLASS the judge places a heifer up which obviously has advantages in yield, muscling, frame size etc but lacks femininity and and structural soundness. Other animals in the class have structure and femininity but only moderate muscle, but are considerably more balanced than the heifer on top. So you begin to think, okay, this judge places a lot of emphasis on heifers that carry a lot of muscle.

SECOND CLASS goes pretty much the same as the first, judge picks an animal with heavy muscle at the sacrifice of structure/femininity

THIRD CLASS the animal on top is clearly NOT the most muscled animal in the class, however the judge states that it is 'the most feminine heifer in the class'. In my mind, he has changed his tactic here - from the first two classes you would think muscle is obviously important to him, but now you start to wonder whether muscle is really that important to him.

FOURTH CLASS the animal placed on top has moderate muscle, good structure and fairly good reproductive traits. The judge states that the animal on top had 'the best structure in the class'. So now you are wondering if maybe he places a lot of emphasis on structural soundness in his heifers.

FIFTH CLASS the judge is back to picking the heaviest muscled animal in the class, regardless of structural soundness or reproductive ability. So now you are wondering what the he11 he is doing - does he place more emphasis on muscle, structure or repro? And you come to the conclusion that he doesnt even know what his priorities are. So you are more inclined to disrespect him and his decisions.

Also, I have found something that seems to work for me and that the exhibitors appear to like, is when I have placed my first class and get the microphone, I introduce myself as normal but I also give them a bit of a run down something like this:

When I am selecting my young females I'm looking at three main areas: femininity and reproductive traits, because I want these females to produce calves for me; structural soundness for longevity - I want them to produce a calf every year, year after year for 15, 16 years. And finally I am looking for beef carcase characteristics, because after all these are beef animals and we are in the beef industry.

Ideally, I then am able to say the animal I placed on top combined these three areas to the highest degree . . .

Also, I forgot to say if you are judging showmanship, judges I liked when I was showing were the ones who walked along the line at the end of the class and gave all the kids a personal comment, not on the mike just quietly to them. Depending on the size of the classes you may have a placed front line and an unplaced back line, and I tend to talk longer with the kids in the back line, giving them a few points. I try to give a tip to each of the kids in the front line as well.

I also do that with kids if they are showing their own animals in the stud classes. Even if its just a quiet word maybe I like your heifers femininity or she's very structurally sound but maybe a little bit low on condition, try to feed her up a bit for the next show. I find its the little things that make all the difference.

As was stated DONT GO INTO THE SHED BEFORE JUDGING BEGINS. Actually that is illegal here. But DO go into the sheds and have a friendly chat with exhibitors when judging is complete. (I imagine you would do that anyway because its your own breed and you will know everyone).

Also just a few technical things like examine the showring to see (if its grass) where holes or low points are to keep that in mind, and when you get the animals to walk individually towards you, set it up so that the animal is walking back towards the entrance of the ring where they came in - they will always walk better when they think they are going 'home'.

Sorry for the novel

Well, I did it.

As of the morning of Saturday, August 25, 2007 I am officially someone who has judged.

It went somewhat better than I thought. I was also a lot less nervous than I expected, but then again I don't really get nervous about much. I just went out there and picked them as I saw them. Definantly did not play favorites. There were a lot less entries compared to last year, I kind of liked that, for my first time judging. The only part I was concerned about was speaking on the microphone... but that got better as the classes went along, I think/hope.

I stayed around for about 1/2 an hour so after the show, visited with a few people. I got a lot of "good jobs" and compliments like that, and I dont think I saw anyone upset or mad anywhere, so that was all good.

Thanks again for all the advice and tips. I like to think I knew most of them, but it was great to read over them right before I went over to the show.

Ryan

Latest posts