JR107 Genetic Defect??

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Has anyone heard or know anything on this. A well respected breeder and area AI tech told me ABS notified him that a genetic defect determination had been made by ABS Global due to some issue reported with a number of his calves. I've been using JR107 for a couple years and really like his heifers, not to mention his calving ease accuracy. A quick check of ABS' web site didn't turn up anything though.

redcowsrule33":1hgwwqke said:
He's not on the ABS website anymore, but he's an old bull too. Lots of reasons to get dropped.

He was a 93 model so I'm sure long dead

Anytime you have a "breed" you will end up with a genetic defect popping up, especially when certain bloodlines become popular. Once there is enough linebreeding, if they're there, they show up. To me it's all about how the breed assocition chooses to deal (or not deal) with it. And then how the association members choose to deal with it.

Once tests come out (luckily we live in an age where that is possible) it is feasible to eliminate the defects without dumping the bloodlines. The bulls who are in AI and turn out to be carriers are in AI for a reason. By testing progeny we don't have to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Breeds are all about genetic mutations, some are bad, others are encouraged, right or wrong. It's the lethal ones people get all excited over, and for good reason. All our breeds are the result of selection for or against certain changes in the genome. Pointing fingers at each other won't help, but education about what to do about it will. What happens in one breed should be a learning opportunity for the others. It's our responsibility as cattle breeders to promote the good, cull the bad, and necropsy the ugly.

Latest posts