Journey Herbicide Test Plot Results

Help Support CattleToday:

GSaltzman

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I thought I would pass on the results of a test LSU did on applying Journey in bermuda grass. The test took place in my jiggs bermuda hayfield this spring. I have sprayed my jiggs fields with a Journey + Grazon mix for the last two years with very good results. Prior to Journey I used a Plateau + Grazon mix. According to my county agent I was the first person to use Journey here in Vermilion parish two years ago. When Plateau was pulled I needed to find a replacement so Journey was used. The reason the test plots were done was because the forage experts at LSU would not reccomend this herbicide on bermuda grass even though it is labeled for it. Just for the record I sprayed two different rates the first year. On a smaller field I sprayed 10 oz and the larger field 8 oz. This was because the BASF rep was scared to reccomend anything higher than 8 oz on jiggs. The results were similar in the 10 oz application did not suppress the jiggs to any noticable degree more than the 8 oz. Now to the current plot results. We made two applications. The first was done March 24 2006. We would have liked to have applied earlier but scheduling messed us up. The second plot was sprayed May 8 2006. This was done to see what would happen with a late application.
1st Application:
Journey rate oz/A- Plant height "- % Plant height decrease
Control - 11.0"
5.3 oz 10.5" 5%
10.6oz 8.8" 21%
16 oz 8.5 " 23%

2nd Application
Control- 16.4"
5.3 oz 11.1" 32%
10.6oz 10.5 " 36%
16 oz 9.2 " 44%
The agents took pictures but I do not have any myself. I should have taken my own. I was suprised at the 16 oz application because I was really afraid it would fry my jiggs. Now, by the time all this was done we fell into a drought situation and I did not receive any rain to help the jiggs recover. What I concluded was this. If my fields become infested with vassey or dallis grass say around 40 % I would not be afraid to apply 10-16 oz per acre. I would apply early and with normal rainfall and fertilization it should recover alot quicker with less plant height reduction. Long winded I know but I hope it helps. Any question feel free to ask.

Latest posts