Joint ill

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My 2day old calf has joint ill to my understanding. He does not have white muscle. He is very wobbly on his feet and tires very easy. He eats well and can get up on all fours for a short period of time but has to lay down most of the time. I have been administering long acting penicillan for four days but have had no improvement. Do you have any suggestions.

[email protected]

Ok...he's 2 days old yet has had antibiotics for 4 days?? Penicillin is next to useless for joint ill because of poor penetration into the joint. Other antibiotics or sometimes flushing of the joint is needed to properly treat this disease. Ask your vet or the regional veterinary college. Good Luck! V

> My 2day old calf has joint ill to
> my understanding. He does not have
> white muscle. He is very wobbly on
> his feet and tires very easy. He
> eats well and can get up on all
> fours for a short period of time
> but has to lay down most of the
> time. I have been administering
> long acting penicillan for four
> days but have had no improvement.
> Do you have any suggestions.

> Just my 2 cents,- last year we got a sale barn calf, developed joint ill/septicemia, Had swollen joints. At advise from an old time vet in Montana we knew, We injected Nuflor DIRECTLY into or above the swollen joints. This was after weeks of no effect from shots in the neck. The calf recovered!! It was a miracle. I really thought shed have to be put down. But couldnt do it, she was very alert- but couldnt walk- till the recovery! So, there is hope!

Ok...he's 2 days old yet has had
> antibiotics for 4 days??
> Penicillin is next to useless for
> joint ill because of poor
> penetration into the joint. Other
> antibiotics or sometimes flushing
> of the joint is needed to properly
> treat this disease. Ask your vet
> or the regional veterinary
> college. Good Luck! V

Latest posts