Joint Ill?

Help Support CattleToday:

Don Don

Reaction score
I have a 22 month old Dexter / Drought Master steer. About six weeks ago his legs started to get stiff, this alarmed me because 12 months ago I lost his mum and she had the same symtoms. The vet warily diagnosed septic arthritis, gave him a course of antibiotics and I am injecting him every 4 days with an anti-inflammatory. This relieves the stiffness but when the anti-inflammatory wears off he is stiff again. He has a good appetite. I have looked around the internet, found this site and thought I may get some more advise. From what I have read he seems too old to have joint ill.

I don't think it could be the traditional ill joint in calves where the infections enters through the navel. Our calf wouldn't put any weight on the infected leg. Fortunately, he has returned to his old self. I think you would have seen him in a tremendous amount of pain when he had the acute infections. If it is septic arthritis, the vet should be able to draw fluid from the knee and make a confirmed diagnosis. Good luck finding the cause.

What are your plans for this 22 month old steer? Oxen? If you plan on harvesting him, you need to pull him off of all meds for recommended time. The longer you wait, the more weight he will gain, the heavier he is the more his joints will hurt. Viscious circle. I would pull meds and harvest him as soon as withholding time has elapsed.

Latest posts