Joint ill

Help Support CattleToday:

v814country

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2 1/2 week old calf, Dutch belted/Hereford cross, approx 100 pounds. He had to be pulled and we unfortunately had to put the mother down. His only source of clostroum was calf manna. According to my veterinarian he has 'joint ill', he is currently on naxcel and banamine, he has only been on it for 2 days and I already see an improvement! My question is, is this something he will fully recover from or what is the typical outcome of this?
Thanks

Joint/navel ill treatment is typically long term. The only one we had that totally recovered required large doses of antibiotics for a month. She recovered completely and went on to be a productive cow. The others that we have treated never seemed to really totally recover and ended up being put down.

:welcome: Sorry for the loss of your cow and the tough start for your calf. I've got a calf I am working with that has this as well. I think the long term prognosis will depend on the severity of the case of joint Ill. I was told some can make a full recovery and some may wind up being a slower/Unthrifty calf and more likely to develop arthritis earlier on as a result if kept as a replacement. Our vet said he thinks we started treating ours in time to save the calf before the damage got too severe, but as dun said treatment is a long term process. We're giving a daily dose of banamine and a dose of Excede every 5 days for the next 4-6 weeks. There are some Vets and others on here with much more experience than I have, who will hopefully chime in with better information than I can give.

Thank you for the information! I already see a great improvement but his knee and stifle are still swollen, I will talk to the vet about long term treatment. She had recommended Naxel for 3 to 5 days at my discretion.

Latest posts