Joint ill in calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I recently purchased a newborn calf from a sales barn. The first 3 days she seemed fine, on the forth day her back legs got week. On the fifth day she was down. We treated her with electrolytes and antibiotics, during her down time she also got pnemonia. She went blind on the 3rd day into her illness. After 1 week of treatment I started working her to get her to stand. She made some very limited progress where she could stand for moments and even try to walk, but on the 9th day she worsened and could no longer stand. Joint ill comes to mind, any other ideas?

Im;ess the jints or navel are swollen I would lean more towards it being pneumonia that just wasn't noticable until she was too weak. But it also sounds like the symptoms we had in a tille bull calf that had a bad heart valve. The valve was bad enough that even I could tell something was wrong when I put a stethescope to him.

dun

rita b":6ntnxide said:
I recently purchased a newborn calf from a sales barn. The first 3 days she seemed fine, on the forth day her back legs got week. On the fifth day she was down. We treated her with electrolytes and antibiotics, during her down time she also got pnemonia. She went blind on the 3rd day into her illness. After 1 week of treatment I started working her to get her to stand. She made some very limited progress where she could stand for moments and even try to walk, but on the 9th day she worsened and could no longer stand. Joint ill comes to mind, any other ideas?

I just had a 4 week old bull calf with a limp ,had some swelling at a rear knee joint , thought he was stepped on or kicked but vet said he could have an infection in the joint, navel treated with iodine a few hours after birth and looks fine , vet recomended a shot of LA200 every other day for three times ,I did that and he's walking on it again he's not 100% yet but I think he'll be fine , it worked but I'm still not sure if it was joint infection or not , navel is fine