Johson Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I need info/personal experiences feedingand growing Johnson Grass.

I have some friends who have fed it and bailed all their lives and think its great even though they mention a factor of feeding it after a frost has been on it that causes a nitrate/prusic acid poisoning. On the other hand, Texas A&M has a publication that list johnson grass as a poisonous variety for cattle grazing and they recommend against feedin it.

Will I regret getting johnson grass started in my pasture since it seems to spread easily? Any first hand knowledge or experience would be appreciated. From Austin Texas.

[email protected]

Properly managed, Johnson Grass is good. But it will not stand up under continuous grazing. In my area, we see it in the ditches alongside the roads, but seldom in a pasture where cows can reach it. When it gets stressed, either frost or heat/drought, it produces the toxins that will kill cows. If you can manage it so the cows never eat it at those times, hot weather or after a frost, or on a continual basis, it might be good. But there are probably other grasses that would be as good that don't demand the management that Johnson Grass does. Good luck...

> I need info/personal experiences
> feedingand growing Johnson Grass.

> I have some friends who have fed
> it and bailed all their lives and
> think its great even though they
> mention a factor of feeding it
> after a frost has been on it that
> causes a nitrate/prusic acid
> poisoning. On the other hand,
> Texas A&M has a publication that
> list johnson grass as a poisonous
> variety for cattle grazing and