Johnsongrass

Help Support CattleToday:

KMETX

Reaction score
I have johnson grass overtaking a hayfield we just cut. I'm about to sprays grazon pd on it to knock down the goat weeds. Will grazon take care of it? Don't think it was a broad leaf so was worried just because I always heard it was hazardous to live stock on rare occasions.

KMETX":2vxhjhzb said:
I have johnson grass overtaking a hayfield we just cut. I'm about to sprays grazon pd on it to knock down the goat weeds. Will grazon take care of it? Don't think it was a broad leaf so was worried just because I always heard it was hazardous to live stock on rare occasions.

Can you turn your cattle in to graze it? They will gobble it up and retard the future growth.

Grazon won't hurt it. It is hazardous to livestock on certain occasions, but that's only when it's stressed, such as in a drought or after a light frost. It makes good hay, and I've never heard of cattle having a problem with it after it's cured and baled.

Only way I've had any luck controlling it is by grazing when possible and rope wicks when not possible I have one hay field that its pretty bad in. I hate the stuff in hay fields, rope wick worked well for me takes several years to get it under control. Our main problem is neighbor's and along the state road they don't mow till after it seeds out and we start all over again, I try to keep road sides clipped to help and for looks

TennesseeTuxedo":1yc7ome7 said:
KMETX":1yc7ome7 said:

Can you turn your cattle in to graze it? They will gobble it up and retard the future growth.

Yes, just have to get my hay off before hand. Easy solution lol

KMETX":2s7mr82d said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2s7mr82d said:
KMETX":2s7mr82d said:

Yes, just have to get my hay off before hand. Easy solution lol

They will hug your neck for it.

As has been mentioned as long as the grass isn't drought stressed you should be fine.

Thats funny, i was trying to figure out a way to spread the seed and get more johnsongrass in one of my hayfields, makes great hay and alot of it! if you cut it when its still leafy it is super hay! if you cut it in a drought you need to wait at least a month before you feed it out just in case of prussic acid poisoning but other than that its gold in my opinion.

Nitrate poisoning is my main concern for it in hay. Prussic acid will dissipate over time, but nitrate levels won't. Lots of cows in this area winter through on Johnsongrass hay. It's been dry here the last few weeks, and Johnsongrass is the only thing growing right now, so I'm thankful for it. If we don't get some rain soon, that's all our second cutting is gonna be.

MtnCows93":1423gfem said:
Thats funny, i was trying to figure out a way to spread the seed and get more johnsongrass in one of my hayfields, makes great hay and alot of it! if you cut it when its still leafy it is super hay! if you cut it in a drought you need to wait at least a month before you feed it out just in case of prussic acid poisoning but other than that its gold in my opinion.

Amen, my hay field is completely Johnson grass and I get 3 cuttings a year. Better yield than you can get with fescue alone.

Used to be that Heinz 57, JG and Coastal Bermuda were the only choices around here for hay, including horse hay. When I first moved out here 40 years ago, daughter had a horse and all it ate was JG hay. Horses roaming with cows eat what's available including JG and SS (Sorghum-Sudan). Never saw a horse down.

Put some NPK on it and it goes nuts. Never heard of a case PA poisioning with that nor SS which is what is planted now-a-days for volume hay production primarily along with the volunteer, even in stress times.

Nitrates in excess with nothing to consume it causing N poisoning doesn't happen around here either. Most hay patches are less than full fed on NPK. Only things bright green are corn fields.

Did have a friend that overdid the N and turned hungry, weined calves in on it with nothing else.....it was tall fescue! He lost a few.

Texasmark":1eqtg8e2 said:
Used to be that Heinz 57, JG and Coastal Bermuda were the only choices around here for hay, including horse hay. When I first moved out here 40 years ago, daughter had a horse and all it ate was JG hay. Horses roaming with cows eat what's available including JG and SS (Sorghum-Sudan). Never saw a horse down.

Put some NPK on it and it goes nuts. Never heard of a case PA poisioning with that nor SS which is what is planted now-a-days for volume hay production primarily along with the volunteer, even in stress times.

Nitrates in excess with nothing to consume it causing N poisoning doesn't happen around here either. Most hay patches are less than full fed on NPK. Only things bright green are corn fields.

Did have a friend that overdid the N and turned hungry, weined calves in on it with nothing else.....it was tall fescue! He lost a few.

Yep and the worst case of prussic acid poisoning I know off occurred in a pure stand of TIFTON85.
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2012/06/26/exper ... -incident/

callmefence":2kti5to3 said:
Texasmark":2kti5to3 said:

HuH! Surprise surprise. May have been something not necessarily related to PAP, like the thing I mentioned about the Fescue. Glad the TAMU guys had a look at it and offered an opinion. I was going to get sprigged with T 85 once when a crew from E. TX. was over this way doing a large field for a BTO but decided against it since I didn't know ahead of time they were coming and the field wasn't prepared for sprigging.

Yep and the worst case of prussic acid poisoning I know off occurred in a pure stand of TIFTON85.
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2012/06/26/exper ... -incident/

IMHO, What we've been told about JG from our fathers & grandfathers is about 90% BS.
They hated JG, because they had to chop it out by hand with a goose-neck hoe, of their corn, tobacco, garden,or any other row crop that they grew. Knowing that Pap & Papaw would,, shell we say they were apt to exaggerate to some extent, guess they picked that up from fishin, LOL, but if they saw a 17 year old cow eatin JG and she died 30 days later they would blame on the JG, :mrgreen:

Latest posts